Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Pick Up Sticks

No, I'm not talking about the fun kids' game - - - - unless you call trying to put nature in order some kind of a game.  When you live in a house that has this many trees in the yard  . . . . . 


and they are this tall . . . . 


You can expect to pick up a few of this before you mow the yard.


Actually we only added the top 1/4 to the pile tonight.  The rest has been accumulating this month from other storms and tree-trimming.  I love that wheelbarrow.  We bought it at Sears a few years ago.  It is all hard thick plastic - - including the wheels so it doesn't rust and the wheels don't go flat.  With a heavy load, it is not as easy to move as the traditional wheelbarrow but generally it does the job quite nicely.

Bill and I did yardwork tonight.  We did mowing and weed-eating in the front and the left side yard.


But we still have the right side to tackle.  It has gotten out of control with all this rain.  However, I prefer rain over drought any day.


This bush is just up and right of this area - - next to our driveway.  We have no clue what it is.  We call it a Bee Bush because it certainly attracts them.















Our reward for our work was the supper I had started earlier in the day in the crockpot.  It was Italian Chicken-Rice Dinner.  Our side dishes were cucumbers from our daughter's garden and  . . .


DELICIOUS pickled beets made by a friend from their personal garden produce!  Thank you, Friend for the wonderful addition to our dinner!

Then the trees of the forest will sing, they will sing for joy before the Lord.   I Chronicles 16:33a  NIV

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your home and yard are so pretty~I bet those big, nice trees keep it much cooler around your home. Where I grew up, we spent hours picking up sticks before mowing. I sympathize with the muscle aches! Your supper sounds wonderful. We love cucumbers right out of the garden and those beets are so pretty. They always remind me of my grandma. Thanks too for the recipe link. Have a nice weekend.

Rae said...

It is a never ending job doing yard work, but it is worth it to have such a pretty place as yours. Those beets sure look good. I am the only one in the family that likes them, so I rarely buy them, but after seeing those I think I will need to fix some. Have a blessed weekend.

Pat said...

What a gorgeous yard you have! That means a lot of upkeep! I love all the trees! I bet it keeps your house mighty cool during the summer months!

That recipe sounds good! I just might have to try it!

grammy said...

You have a huge yard and lots of 'sticks' to prove it
my inlaws live in KC MO and have 3 acres
it looks like that and soooo much work for an 80 some year old man to do
he won't move though (o:
now I want some pickled beets...
maybe I can find a neighbor to pickle them
or buy some in a jar (o:

Caribbean Cindy said...

That is a BIG pile of sticks - you and Bill have worked hard lately! I really like the Bee Bush! Those are pretty yellow blossoms and unlike anything I have ever seen. Can't join you in the appreciation of the beets! lol However the chicken recipe looks great and I will try it soon. Did you use chicken breasts or thighs for the turkey thighs? You certainly give me lots of new things to make and we enjoy that a lot!