Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Busy Week


Some weeks are busier than others and this seemed to be one of them.  The pictures of the flowers in this post have nothing to do with this week’s activities.  They were actually taken a couple of weeks ago at our local Chick-Fil-A.  They have the property landscaped.  I only had my phone with me but I do believe it did fine.

 
Our winter reading program for adults is over at the church.  If you are interested, the results are on this link.

 
Not everything was sunshine and happiness though.  After having this cat for sixteen and a half years, she made her final trip to the vet on Thursday.  One week ago, she had a ‘medical’ accident - - like a stroke or something similar.   She had trouble remembering how to do tasks as simple as drinking.  The below picture was taken a year ago.  I am glad I did not have a recent one because it was depressing to see how she had aged.



Missy, also known as Miss Kiss, Miss Kitty, and Wobble-cus, was a wonderful pet.  She was not even weaned when we got her.  Our church’s youth pastor thought her mom might have been killed by a dog and he asked us to take the little kitty that had wandered into their yard.  We bottle-fed her, transitioned her to cat food by putting it in the blender, and even let her sleep with us the first two weeks.  Her personality was great for a cat - - one of the best we have owned.  We will miss her - - but we still have more cats left so don’t anyone try and replace her for us!


 On Friday, I was happy to help judge one event in a speech tournament for Christian Homeschoolers.  This is at least my third year doing this.  When I retire, I will help them even more.  If you ever get the opportunity to judge for The National Christian Forensics and Communications Association, take advantage of it.  You will be impressed at the caliber of young persons involved in these tournaments.


 Today I was invited to attend the fourteenth anniversary of The Haven.    It is a ministry of Shenandoah Baptist Church.  We met the girls through our First Baptist Library Ministry.  The directors and other staff at the girls’ home do a wonderful job of pouring lots of love and energy into the lives of these teenagers.    Our library staff has come to love all of them, too.  Afterward I visited their dormitory.  It is nestled in a wooden area overlooking a large pond.   God is using that environment to help those girls make improvements in their spiritual life, education, and relationships with their families.

Now we are playing ‘catch-up’ with laundry and other necessary things to prepare for next week - - - so I’ll catch you next weekend!

This is the verse on the bulletin at the anniversary celebration today.
"...that our daughters may be as cornerstones, polished after the similitude of a palace" 
Psalm 144:12

10 comments:

West Side of Straight said...

Love the flower pictures. Oh, to think that spring may come to our area soon! I've had the experience of judging 4-H'ers at some public speaking contests, so know what you mean about great kids, and their abilities for public speaking! There really are a lot of great young people out there. We just don't hear about them as much as we do about the kids involved in other bad things!
Have a great Sunday!

betty said...

I am sorry about Missy, always hard to make that decision, but I am sure you made the best one. Wow, lots of people participated and lots of books read, that is awesome!!

it is amazing how some weeks can be so busy isn't it? hoping you get some rest tomorrow!

betty

Rae said...

That is sad news about your kitty. I am sorry for your loss. I'm sure you will miss her.
The flower photos are pretty. I am anxious to start seeing some blossoms around here. Maybe by Easter we will have some too.

Buttercup said...

My sympathy for Missy. So hard when a beloved pet ages.

Enjoyed the photos of the flowers and reading about your activities. Also enjoyed the library website and the book reviews.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Busy indeed. SO sorry about Miss Kiss...she was a cute lil' thing and it sounds like YOU have given her a wonderful home and life.
Wonderful work for those girls in need...if only all teens were so blessed to have people care about them.
Take care,
Suz

grammy said...

Liked reading about your busy week (: The flowers are so pretty. I think it would be hard to judge a speech... but fun. I use to love speech in HS.
Sorry about your cat. Mine is that old or older. Sometimes she acts so old and sometimes she forgets she is an old cat and 'plays'.

Patsy said...

Our cat was a baby and he lived 18 years with us. Can not replace him.
You have had a busy week but a good one .
Have a restful and happy day today.

Caribbean Cindy said...

So very sorry to hear about your cat - she was very fortunate to have come to such a good home! Loved the beautiful flower photos! Spring is such a pretty time in Tennessee!

George said...

I'm sorry to hear about Missy -- I know she will be missed.

You had a very busy week, but I hope you also had some time to relax from all of your activities.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing!

God's Blessings to you my beautiful Sister in Christ!!!

Love in Christ Jesus,

Lon