Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

It’s a Jungle Out There!

 On Thursday, I took a vacation day because I needed/wanted a day off.  Bill and I met for lunch and Dovino’s.  Later that evening, it seemed like a good idea to eat supper outside on our upper back deck because there was a lovely breeze.  Instead of totally relaxing, Bill said, “I see all the work that needs to be done.”   Even before our dinner on the deck, he had planned to work outside a few hours today - - - and he did.

 It’s the time of year when everything grows really fast!  But it’s also the time of year when everything is the most brilliant green - - - before the scorching sun and drought of summer.

 I went after the base of this vine today.  (I hope someone can tell me it wasn’t anything with an allergic poison.)  My prayer is that it is just another invasive vine.  Also, some of the “volunteer” trees were cut down, too - - while they were still small enough to be gotten with the long-handled clippers.


Our younger daughter has been hard at work at her place, too.


 Hard work deserves some yummy food and we discovered this new side dish this weekend.  It is very, very good.   I cooked it in a glass casserole dish rather than microwaving it in the original plastic bag.

 Earlier this week, I made Quesadillas that had sautéed red bell pepper and onion combined with chicken, salsa, and Mexican Blend Cheese.  It now ranks up there in our top three or five favorite sandwiches!

 And for those of you who are very crafty or wish to be with ‘re-do’s’, have you seen this blog? If the link doesn't work, go to www.betterafter.blogspot.com.  I saw some GREAT ideas and made a Publisher file with some of my favorite pictures.  Only go there if you have time.  Plus, I hope to see some of your accomplishments on there in the future.

Have a great week!

For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.  Psalm 50:10


16 comments:

Pat said...

Is that vine the infamous "kudzu" vine? I read that it can grow up to 60 FEET a year!

Your daughter's flower bed looks inviting! I'd love to plant flowers there!

Now you have my curiosity up! And the link to that blog didn't work!

Lynda said...

Thanks, Pat for the heads-up on the link. I think it's fixed now. No, that is not kudzu and yes it grows very, very rapidly!

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful photo takes of God's nature!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Love in Christ Jesus,

Lon

Amanda said...

I can sympathize with looking at a yard and seeing the work that needs to be done. The great thing about the beds is that now that we have them set up they will be fairly easy to plant in for years to come. :)

grammy said...

We don't have nearly as much...GREEN... around here. Good 'ole' Colorado. No humity in the summer either. I do have wood vine thanks to the people that lived here before us. Nasty stuff. And mint...mint wants to take over the world (o: smells good at least.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lynda, GEE--you have much more green popping up down there than we do... Our big trees don't have leaves yet --and the empty lot still looks like winter... BUT--we do have lots of color popping up in our yard. I'll blog about it this week.

Your vine is probably that old Virginia Creeper... We have it up here--and it's a nuisance. The only things to be careful of are the ones with 3 leaves.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

betty said...

Looks like you guys have a good size piece of property! It must be neat to see everything come back into bloom or start growing again after winter!! Those quesadillas sound delicious!! Light for hot summer dinners!

betty

Jan Samuel said...

Prayer for a Christian family.

Pray for family with four children. The children are a gift from God in wonderful ways.
Pray for a selfconfidence and identity for one of the children and choises that needs to be taken for the next school year.
We don't know the way, but God knows. Pray for healing with hearingdissabilities and allergy.
For two other children pray for healing of physical dissabilities.
Pray for the company that God has opened the doors for and the way further.
Also pray for a good and healthy marriage.
Thank you for praying, It is so good to know that someone cares and we thank God who hear our prayers.

Power of prayer is great

Thanks for the great post

2 Corinthians 1 verse 2-3-4-5
to you all from Norway


Greetings
Jan Samuel

Rae said...

Yep, it's really greening up. I find myself thinking of all the work involved when I sit and look at it too. It's nice to have the warm temps though.
I have to find that steamed rice. It sounds good.
Have a blessed and wonderful day Lynda.

Busy Bee Suz said...

So much GREEN. I think that might be kudzu? but then again...you would have known that.
Busy stuff for all of your family...and that meal sounds DIVINE. I love Mexican anything!!!!! Going to check out the link!!!

Anonymous said...

This time of year is enjoyable to get out and see what's growing but it's also a time for sore muscles! thanks for the link. Hope you are enjoying your week.

George said...

The vacant lot next to our house looks very much like your jungle. Every once in a while we work on some of the vines and things growing there to keep them from invading our yard.
I really like the flower bed your daughter is making. The Quesadillas sound delicious.

Toyin O. said...

hi Lynda,

Wow, good luck with all that work that needs to be done in your backyard. Praying for strenght:) That rice looks yummy and the sandwich even sounds yummier, I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing the link:) Have a great weekend. Xoxo

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Lynda, like mother like daughter. Its nice to stand back and see you have made something special. God bless you all.
(I'm coming to dinner..LOL)

Lola said...

I enjoyed the link. That sandwich sounds scrumptious. Will have to try it.
Old saying, "Leaves of three, leave it be". "Berries of white, danger in sight".

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Miss Lynda I would call that vine Purple Leaf Winter Creeper..I cannot keep it alive up here in the north..I have tried. The green looks extra nice to me:)