Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cleaning Up

Do you ever rearrange anything in your kitchen?  I don't do it often but when it begins to feel like it is not operating efficiently, I will shift things around.  Last week the drawer that holds all the seldom used - - - but definitely needed - - - items got sorted.  This drawer has a meat thermometer, beaters for the mixer, corn-on-the-cob handles, etc. etc. and these . . . . . They were in a plastic bag shoved way in the back part of the drawer - - - past the dividers.  I had forgotten about them!  They were my mother's.  These little forks are half the size of table forks and are used for finger food buffets.  I think she had them especially for things like cocktail franks or cheese cubes.  Then I moved onto our regular silverware drawer that also holds serving spoons and a few other "often-used" utensils like vegetable peelers.  Did you know we had five of them?  Why???? That collection has also been better organized and "pared" down.

The great thing about a project like that is you see immediate results that will last a while.  And then there are other things you do that are 3 steps forward and just as many back.


These have been falling off our trees for 2 or 3 days.  I used the leaf blower on the driveway 3 times on Friday.  My husband got on top of the house and blew them off the roof.  It rained hard this weekend and the wind was ferocious at times.  You would think nothing could have kept hanging on the limbs - -- but yet - - we are still clearing the driveway today.  This is our least favorite part of having beautiful shade trees all around us.  Dealing with the leaves in the fall is preferable to the pollen and seeds in the spring.  But it is almost over and then it will be regular maintenance for the summer.  Plus we have the benefit of lower utility bills because of the trees' foliage.

And God said, Behold I have given you every . . . . . tree . . . . . .  Genesis 1:29a

6 comments:

grammy said...

For me cleaning the drawer is like three steps forward and 2 back...I can mess it up so fast and can't really blame anyone else (o:
I am sure you are thankful for all the shade in the summer. We have snow tonight...SNOW... I am so tired of snow and rain and wet muddy yards. I am thankful for the moisture so I better straighten up (o:

Pat said...

I need to clean out my silverware drawer! I have been meaning to do that for weeks, no months, now! Thanks for the nudge, although I won't get to it till we're in one spot for awhile again.

I used to have a yard that was almost 300 feet deep. It had 27 trees on the lot; all of them were messy trees - willows, horse chestnut, cottonwoods, apples, crabapple, any kind of tree you can think of that dropped something - we had it. No - WE didn't plant them - they came with the house! LOL!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Heeeheeehe! I hear ya sister, the seed pods and pollen fall every time the breeze blows even if I did just sweep them up.

God bless ya and have a marvelous Monday!!!

Mary Helen said...

You have inspired me to tackle at least one drawer today! Thanks.

Amanda said...

I went to use our vegetable peeler at the daycare the other day, and it laughed at me the first few times I ran it down a cucumber. I have a feeling I need to check out the drawers there to see if there are other items to replace.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.