Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sweet Sister

Usually I try to post a couple of times on the weekend but when I am not here, it doesn't happen.  Last Friday, I drove to Augusta, GA to be with my sister.  As usual, we had a great time together.  However, my reason for going was not the happiest.  Her home burned to the ground on April 12.  Squirrels were probably the cause.  A neighbor saw electricity arcs at the top of the power pole which meant the insulation was probably missing.  The fire fell to the ground and caught the brush, leaves, etc. which quickly spread.


The best news is no one was home when it happened so there were no injuries.  Other good news is people have been great to give her donations and help her with clean-up of the land.  She also has a temporary place to stay with no time restrictions.  It has this view from the front yard.  You can see the horse on the left.  Can you see the white car on the right-hand side of the picture?  That is her property.  She is in the woods - - - a very peaceful place where the temperature can be almost ten degrees cooler than in the city of Augusta - - about twenty miles away - - - where she works.


Sandie is working on plans to have a new modular home on her property soon.  She is working with Deer Valley Home Builders on a contract this week.  It is a beautiful house she will purchase.

As usual, when we get together, we have an excellent time of fun and food.  We began on Friday night by going to Hildebrandt's in Augusta.  It is an OLD building that contains various items - - the best of which is a delicatessen - - - with DELICIOUS sandwiches and salads.




Before I came home on Sunday, we went to Country Boy's Cooking in Keysville, GA.  The funny thing is the restaurant is not in a town.  It is a nice restaurant built beside someone's home on one of the beautiful country roads.  We had the absolute best barbecue I have ever eaten.  It was so good, I brought some home and my family agreed with me.  That barbeque is almost worth making another ten hour round-trip drive!

We got there just before the church crowd arrived so I was able to get this picture of the empty restaurant.   - - - - and our weekend started with destruction due to fire and ended with nourishment cooked over fire.


How good was it?  Look at the happy faces that Sandie and I have!


". . . . . He sat down among the ashes."  Job 2:8b

6 comments:

Rae said...

That is awful news about your sister's loss. Thankfully she has a wonderful sister and great friends to help her through the ordeal. The views from her place are outstanding. I can see why she would want to rebuild there. Despite the sadness of your visit, it looks like you still had a good time and wow - that plate full of food looks yummy.

grammy said...

So sorry about your sister house.
squirrels.... those naughty rascals...
awhile back I posted about the squirrels chewing up so much under the hood of my van. Crazy
looks like you had a great time together.
Glad of that (o: Sister time is wonderful

Lynda said...

It said I had another comment but I don't know where it is . . . .

Lynda said...

- - - and Grammy's comment popped up when I posted my last one - - - - crazy computer.
Grammy - - I remember that post.
Rae - - we did have a great time and she is doing remarkably well - - - very excited about her future home and rightly so. It is beautiful.

Missy said...

Miss Lynda, I am so sorry that your sister is having to go through this. I can't imagine all the loss that a fire causes. So glad she is OK! Never knew that about squirrels. We have so many here, I just don't like them at all. Glad you were able to spend some time with her. And thanks for that sweet comment on my blog! Missy

Pat said...

How devastating to lose everything in a fire. At least no one was hurt, but still, it's hard. At least your sister has a temporary home. Sounds like she's moving fast on a new place. All in all, you had a good weekend with your sister. And that's good!