Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

He's a Winner!

I guess it's better late than never when it comes to posting.  Last Thursday was the annual spelling bee to raise funds for the Learning Center for Adults and Families, Inc.   They offer a lot of great services to aid persons with education.  Some of the funds are used for GED scholarships.  Can you imagine studying hard to pass the test but not having $75 to take it?

Anyway this was our team's fifth year to participate and after 20 rounds, we took second place.

This is my sweet husband.  There were two other members on our First Baptist Team but I did not get their permission to post their faces so just cropped them out.  The good news about being second is it was time for another team to win since we have taken first place the last three years.  The 2010 first place winner  was Merck.  They have been the corporate sponsor each year and our close competition.  They generally finish the spelling bee in the top three.

The funny thing is our team could spell words of this difficulty:  ulotrichous, unguiculate, marcescent, and acciaccatura.  The word they missed is anisette.  Do you know why?  Our church team missed the name of a liqueur!  None of them had ever heard of it.  Let's just say that our church friends were pleased to know we were not familiar with anisette!

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.  Ephesians 5:18a

5 comments:

Rae said...

Congratulations on the win. That is very impressive. The contest is a fantastic idea for helping others. Funny I didn't know what anisette was either. Guess I am not much of a liquor connoisseur.
Thank you so much for your well wishes and kind words on my blog. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful caring friend.

Pat said...

Wow - that's impressive! I don't even know what those words MEAN, let alone spell them! I used to be a good speller, and now, as I get older, I find myself getting stumped over simpler words. Thankfully there's www.dictionary.com that I can zip over to when I'm blogging!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Here's sendin' you a big old CONGRATULATIONS on your big win. It's funny that a liquor word failed in a church group. Heeehehe! Dictionary.com is this chick's favorite sight. Heck after a car accident my Sophomore year in college I lost my ability to spell and had to relearn it. I finished school with a pocket dictionary. Needless to say....I'm impressed.

God bless ya and enjoy this beautiful day!!!

grammy said...

well congratulations
I would not have known what on earth that was either (o:
who am I kidding...I can't spell anyway (o:

Allen said...

congrats on the win!! Sounds like they had a great time.