Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

1 Multiplies to 3

My life really doesn't revolve around my next meal - - but I do enjoy what I eat . . . and I like it when we have a leisurely weekend and I can cook a couple of things.  This weekend my goal was to eat lighter because I needed to drop at least a pound I have recently gained.   That generally means more vegetables and usually a salad - - which we all love.  So on Friday, I cut and chopped for more than a few minutes so we would have produce for three meals.  The first was Tacos.


We actually used the Whole grain shells this time but I have since disposed of the box.  They have 50 calories less per shell plus more fiber.  We could taste a difference but they were good.

For lunch today we used that produce in a lovely tossed salad to which we added deli-sliced meat and fruit.


It was YUM-cious!!!  Actually it is one of our favorite salads. - - - - and I know some of you would think that we couldn't have possibly been hungry again this evening but we have gotten into that habit - - - so I took these - - - 


 - - - and threw in the rest of the raw vegetables (carrots, colored peppers, lots of cucumbers, sweet onions,) and added canned corn and black beans (both drained and rinsed).  We have found we prefer the Balsamic & Basil Vinaigrette over an Italian dressing.  It has a milder taste.  The Weight Watchers magazine said to add more vegetables and decrease the pasta - - which is a no-brainer - - but a pasta lover likes me needs reminding.  This salad was the perfect answer.  (Let it sit a couple of hours in the refrigerator before eating.  The flavor is better.)

Speaking of fresh vegetables, my daughter and son-in-law have planted their first garden.  You can view it here.

And there is not much else to report this week.  It has been busy at work due to Vacation Bible School.  They had a combined children & adult total of over 800 people.  One great thing they do at our church is have all the classes on a rotation.  The lead teacher is basically the "tour guide" in that she takes them to crafts, snacks, rec, Bible story, and missionary stories.  All classes begin together in the sanctuary for music and some fun activities - - - like racing to pass a balloon or ball through the pews.  The offering taken each day is a girls against the boys competition with the "losing team's captain" (one of the ministers on staff) either taking a whipped cream pie in the face - - - or this year that person had to kiss a pig!  It was actually more unsettling for the pig due to the noise of the students.  The money does not usually go back to our church to cover any VBS costs but rather is used to help missionaries.

We just had one team return from a trip to Ethiopia where some of our church family has adopted children from the orphanages.  If you get a minute, read about their side trips to the Leper Colony and the dump  - - the only home some children know.  It will really make you thankful for what you have - - and also make you wonder, "Why was I so blessed to be born in the U.S. and not in a country with problems of poverty, war, drought, etc. etc.?"

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress . . . . James 1:27a

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Lynda, I love to do all my prep work in advance and then enjoy each and every meal. You are really smart and all 3 meals sound wonderful to me. We love any kind of salad too. I enjoyed reading about VBS and the missions at your church. I'll click on the links to your daughter and son-in-law's garden and the church group just returning from their trip. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda said...

I had forgotten about that pasta salad that you all make. I might have to use that recipe sometime for me. Josh isn't one for pasta salads.

Rachel said...

YUM ! Love the new look !

Caribbean Cindy said...

Really love the new blog look - very festive and summery! The meals sounded so great. I especially want to try the pasta one. So glad VBS went well. My niece was saved at Epworth's VBS last week! Love that! Saw Amanda's garden - they are doing such a great job with that! Love you!

grammy said...

Looks like great meals
my new go to food is a side of rice and a side of guac from Chipotle's
I try not to do it very often...but it is soooo yummy
wish they had brown rice (o:
at least that would be a tiny bit healthier (o:
our VBS sounds just like that
I miss the days of having your own classroom and kids...
not touring all over...but oh well (o:

Pat said...

Half the battle of losing weight is the mind set, isn't it? Good for you for getting on the right path and eating right!

I've been contemplating doing Zumba, that Latin exercise dance routine. Do you think the trailer will fall apart if I start jumping around and dancing in it?

I read the woman's post about visiting Ethiopia. Amazing, sad, terrifying all wrapped up in one. Hard to believe that place exists while we live happily in our little world.