I have a new book - - - a spiral-bound calendar for 2010 - 2011. It was purchased in May - - BEFORE school was even out. That seems a bit rude to remind students that a new school year is about to begin when they haven't even finished the current one!
I like this style calendar and usually get the one that is about the size of a paperback book but this year I went for the larger one so there would be more room to write notes to myself. Generally I get one with plain pages but when I saw this one with the beach scenes, I thought it would be fun to look at during the year. The tabbed sections for each month were a bonus, too.
In addition to putting some dates in my new book today, I have been preparing meat for the freezer.
Many of you know that during these hot months, there will be frequent sales. If you store food in the vacuum-sealed bags, it extends the shelf (freezer) life of it - - - - without any freezer burn or loss of flavor. One secret I have learned is to put the food in the bag and then partially freeze it before sealing it completely. It is less messy and you don't have to deal with cleaning excess liquid out of the tray.
We are soooooo thankful to be able to live and work inside air-conditioned buildings. However, Bill felt the need to get outside in the heat yesterday.
Remember when I told you he was a volunteer at The Honors Course? Well, he gets to play there one day this next month. But he has not played golf very much in the last couple of years because it hurts his hands and and sometimes his hips where he has arthritis. So to bring him up to speed and get some practice as well as some pointers, he met with a coach from Lee University yesterday. Bill really misses playing his sports. He was always active in leagues that included bowling, softball, basketball, and golf - - - and those four reasons contributed to his arthritis. I asked him if he would do all those things on a regular basis again knowing that they wore out his joints. He said he would because he enjoyed the sports that much. He has not given up activity though. He walks at least two miles every day.
. . . so until next week, Hasta la vista!
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. . . . . Hebrews 3:13 - 14b



8 comments:
You are so smart to already have your planner and I have always wondered about the food saver bags. That's a great way to buy when the sales are on and protect the food for longer.
I have never been very active in sports but the heat we have had lately makes it hard to do much of anything outside. I admire Bill for walking each day. Hope you two have a great week.
I wish I were this organized! I love the cover of your new calendar. You have inspired me to tackle my freezer!
I'm glad that he's getting to play golf again. I know he enjoys it. Glad you've gotten to store some of your food too. I have yet to tackle trying to pickle my cucumbers.
My you are so organized!
We have a side by side refrigerator, and although it's large for a trailer, it isn't THAT large that I can store a lot of things in the freezer. I usually have enough for about a week in there.
I have thought about getting one of those food sealers. It really is a good idea buying in bulk and freezing for later. Maybe one day I will get around to it. Sometimes I just need a jolt to tackle such projects.
I am using that very calendar this year - love it and love the beach scenes. Thought they were very appropriate. My cover is aqua blue. It's been cheerful to see all year. Thanks for the reminder to pick one up for next year!! I have also been quite happy with the hand held sealer and freezer vacuum bags that Reynolds came out with. The bags come in gallon and quart size and are resealable. I particularly like them for lettuce.
Oh Miss Lynda, I love the planner! Thanks for the tip on the food saver, a few weeks back. I'm having lots of fun putting up veggies now ;)
Hi Miss Lynda, Just wanted to stop and say Hi and hope that you are doing ok. Hope you all had a nice July 4th.
Post a Comment