My older daughter and I went to visit her younger sister today. It is an hour from our house. The most direct route takes us around the Ocoee River. I have mentioned before that this was the site of the 1996 Summer Olympics water events for canoe and kayak. Before and since the Olympics, it has been a popular place for rafting the rapids. We stopped at a couple of places along the way today to take pictures.
The first three pictures show the rafters waiting their turn to "put in" the rapids. You can see the calm area that will take them into the rapids right past the water that has been released over the dam.
The next seems a bit fuzzy due to the mist blowing off the waterfall. The water looks a beautiful blue but it is more of a green.
Obviously, the rafters have successfully launched and are able to navigate well.
This bridge is over the waterfall at the dam. These waterways are part of the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority). The website tells you TVA is government run and provides electricity to over 9 million people in parts of seven southeastern states. When our older daughter was an intern with TVA one summer, she walked over this bridge.
Perhaps you remember us discussing the rockslide in this area last winter. It completely blocked the road for almost half a year. The next picture is above the road behind the rafters. You can see the anchors that were drilled through the remaining rock to help stabilize it.
My next post may contain pictures of the Whitewater Olympic Center.
HE cutteth out rivers among the rocks; and HIS eye seeth every precious thing. Job 28:10







12 comments:
It surely was a beautiful day for fun in the water. What pretty pictures you have shared Lynda. Looks like a very popular place for adventurous folks!
This really looks like a lot of fun!
Jane
Wow ! The pictures are stunning ! Hope you had a good time.
That looks like a lot of 'wet' fun...so when are you joining the rafters? :)
Great Photos!
I've never had any desire to try rafting, even when I was young and adventurous. Although it is fun to watch from a distance...a long distance.
Great pictures Lynda...I have been by that area many times --but haven't stopped. I knew that there have been alot of people this summer... Since it has been so hot, I can understand why!!!!! Looks like fun... Wish I were about 40 yrs. younger... I'd do it!!!!! ha
Hugs,
Betsy
Home!! (sigh) :-)
You're quite handy with that camera...really good pictures. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed.
That looks gorgeous. I've always wanted to try whitewater rafting.
http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/
Great pictures! White water rafting is something I would NEVER do - being that I am so afraid of water! Jim suggested we ride the Colorado River. I told him to do it himself and I'd go lie on a beach somewhere by myself. Seriously.
great pics...but I thought maybe you took a raft trip (o:
It.'s been years since. I've done any white-water rafting, but your pictures tempt me to go again. Thanks for the pictures and for the picture of the slide area.
Post a Comment