Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

25 Days . . . . .


We got this title in our church library last year.  I glanced through it mid-way through December and told myself I would like to use it as a devotional beginning around Thanksgiving time this year.  (I allow myself a couple of days extra in case I get really busy one day.)
Here's the  cool part - - - I bought the book last December and actually remembered (without putting it on the calendar) to start it yesterday!  Notice my Thanksgiving bookmark sticking out of the top of the book. 

Here are some interesting things I have learned in just two days.  Advent actually dates back to the 6th century.  Church leaders used the time to help families focus on the life of Christ so that His birth would be even more significant by the time it was celebrated.

Why does Christmas shopping begin at Thanksgiving?  It hasn't always been that way.  Before 1940, generally only the week before was spent in holiday activities from shopping to decorating the tree.  However, during World War II, President FDR asked those at home to shop early and mail their gifts by the first week in December.  When the war ended, retailers were happy and most consumers seemed to be, too so the new tradition of shopping for six weeks began.



So if Christmas preparations overwhelm you, then this book is to help you rediscover the joy and meaning of the season.  One suggestion is to read a chapter in the Gospel of Luke each day before Christmas since it has 24 chapters.



Day 2 reminds us of the greatest gift to the world and of how Jesus met needs while here on Earth.  With that in mind, you should consider buying for someone in great need - - - BEFORE you shop for your family.  The author's family does this and tells about the reaction of  families who had given up on receiving anything - - - - and also how wonderful it made his family feel - - - - they were the hands and feet of Jesus.


King Wenceslas began Christmas gift-giving before it was even in vogue.  In addition to building a better government for the people, assisted by his pages, he would personally visit needy homes and deliver food, clothing, and firewood.

Another thing I learned this week was that the Vanderbilt Family would find what gifts their employees' family would like and celebrate Christmas with a gift-giving party for them.



As many of you know, many of the servants did their chores in the basement of the Biltmore.  And that is where I am today - - not the Biltmore - - but rather our basement!  My husband and I have both been sorting, tossing, and rearranging.  We are going through 16 years of accumulation in this house and 34 years' of collecting during our marriage.  Blame it on the thyroid medicine beginning to work well for me!  My energy level finally got a lot better this week.  I realized that when I was singing at 8:30 one evening!  So - - - back to the dungeon I go because I am LOVING the results!

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalms 90:12

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the book ~ it sounds very good. I'm glad you are feeling stronger; sounds like you are tackling the basement like a whirlwind!!!!!

betty said...

Glad the medicine is kicking in and you are getting more energy back!! Wonderful to tackle the project of de-cluttering! What a fascinating book; it is interesting to see where our traditions come from. Can you imagine only having one week to get ready for Christmas? I kind of like that, perhaps it was simplier back then than compared to nowadays.

have a great weekend!

betty

George said...

The book sounds wonderful -- I'll put it on my wish list. I'm glad your medicine is helping you get your energy back -- we all need as much energy as we can get during this season.
We were at the Biltmore estate earlier this week. They still have a Christmas party with gifts for all the employees, although I'm not sure if the gifts are personalized as they used to be.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so glad that you are feeling some good energy!!!
Love that your basement is getting vamped up...that is exciting.
The Christmas book sounds great, love learning the history of advent.

Mary Helen said...

I, too, am glad that your energy level is getting back to normal...whatever that is!! You inspire me to work in our basement.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I recognize that last picture, Lynda... We just went to the Biltmore this week... It was the first time i had been there. AWESOME.

Looks like a great book.
Hugs,
Betsy

Toyin O. said...

Hi Miss Lynda,

Glad to hear that your medicine is kicking in this week; praying that you stay energized. The book sounds like a great read and i will have to check it out, thanks for sharing.

I just also want to thank you for visiting my blog and your gracious comment. Have a blessed week. Hugs:)

Toyin

Jane said...

Beautiful post. Good luck with your clean out on the basement!

Jane

Anonymous said...

Lynda, I hope you continue to have a high energy level so you can get through the Holiday Season :-)

~Ron

grammy said...

the book sounds great.
I am working in my basement too
alone
it would be better if I had help to keep me going...
hope to get it all done by the end of January...not just the storage room...the whole house. We keep tooooo much STUFF.

Caribbean Cindy said...

Very informative and interesting as well as seasonal post!! So happy your medicine is helping you feel better. BIG applause for you and Bill for cleaning out things NOW. Really liked the reminder about giving to others, too!