Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Aging?!!


What do these things have in common?
Dry skin       (My mother had it.)
Swollen joints  (I do have some arthritis.)
Fatigue - - extreme at times.  (It has been a very busy year - - moving the library, big summer reading program, etc.)

Sounds like regular old age.  I kept thinking, “Man, it sure hits fast.  I thought it would just be a gradual decline where each day might feel like climbing an incline.”

Add Hives to the mix and I thought, “Okay, what am I allergic to?  People keep mentioning stress but I don’t feel stressed.  I love my family and my job is great.”

However, my body IS stressed - - - due to an under-active thyroid!!!!!  It may sound crazy but I was excited to get that diagnosis from my bloodwork yesterday - - - especially after talking to a couple of others who take medicine for the same thing and they feel great again.

If you knew me, you would know that taking manufactured medicines is close to a last resort for me but I eagerly got up this morning to take my first pill - - - - an hour BEFORE any food.  I am ready to feel closer to 100% again and glad to know that it was more than just “old age” setting in.  It may be part of aging but I don’t have to be old yet!

And don’t feel badly for me with this malady.  There are much, much worse things to deal with in this life.  If I have to have something, I am thankful for this - - - - especially if my medicine will not be too difficult to get regulated.  And I am thankful today is my day off - - - - - maybe I will take a nap now!

And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

10 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I found out that I was anemic recently --and am having to take 3 iron pills a day... There are always little things which can cause tiredness and other ailments as we age.... Like you, I was pleased to find that my great doctor --through all of my blood tests-- found out what was not right , and I am fixing it... Thanks be to God...

I'm sorry about your thyroid problem --but it can easily be fixed.... I am praying for both of us.

Have a great weekend.. And stay warm!!!! "Baby, It's Cold Outside"...
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

I'm praying the med. does the job and you feel much better soon! It's a good day to take a nap. Enjoy the weekend Lynda.

betty said...

good they found the underactive thyroid! I'm sure you'll start feeling better ever so soon (or in at least 4-6 weeks :)

have a good weekend!

betty

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, I hope this medication does the trick for you.
And I agree...this is good news to know what the problem is, and it can be treated!!!!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend with a bit more energy to come soon.
Perhaps a moisturizing bubble bath is in order???
xo

George said...

While I'm sorry to hear about the thyroid problem, I am glad that they found it. I also pray that the medication works and that you're soon feeling back to normal.

Allen said...

I hope the meds works for you. I hope you get to feeling better. I moved down south so that I could get away from the aches and pains of arthor but I woke up this morning to 65 degrees and every joint hurting.

Amy DeTrempe said...

So glad you know what is wrong and modern medicine has provided help. Nothing worse than feeling bad for no reason (that you can think of). I am sure that once the medication gets into your system you will be your old self again.

Toyin O. said...

Pray you are feeling better, there is nothing wrong with aging if you are in Christ. God has promised the glory of the latter days will be greater thn former.

Just also wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and your gracious comment. Have a wonderful day!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hey..I am glad you found out that the symptoms were really something that can be fixed..it may take time to feel better:)

Anonymous said...

I can tell with my getting older that things are changing in my body quite a bit, but I'm just thankful that I have my Lord Jesus to see me through!!! Thank you for sharing your post along with God's Word!!! God Bless you!!!