Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year


Tomorrow  we will begin a new year with this calendar in our kitchen.  Of all the different ones we have used over the years, this seems to be our favorite.  The "sayings" and pictures are generally quite cute and contain some wisdom - - sometimes.

Another calendar I use is for Bible Reading.  I read through the entire Bible last year using this plan.  And rather than reading  the printed pages each day, I used this DVD a majority of the time.


I blogged about it earlier this year.  The DVD plays when I work in the kitchen or when I am on the elliptical doing my morning aerobics.   You can read and listen at the same time - - - plus hear the pronunciation of those difficult Old Testament names!

This year my plan is to read the Bible chronologically - - - in the order the events occurred and not as they are listed in our Table of Contents.  You can find that plan at this website - - - even read  it online.  You will find a great variety of plans there.  As I told our library workers, it doesn't matter if you read the Bible in its entirety.  What is important is a daily discipline of being in The Word.

Of all the books I read during the year and tell you about, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you about the most important Book in my life. . . . and as geeky as it sounds, I am excited to begin reading from the beginning again tomorrow!

And with that said, it is time to walk outside for a few minutes because the SUN is SHINING and it's about 59 degrees!!!!!

Lord, your word is everlasting; it continues forever in heaven.  Psalms 119:89

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynda, It is 64 at our home and the sunshine feels so nice today! Thank you for sharing these different links with us and telling us about the dvd. I love your kitty calendar too. Enjoy these nice afternoon and all the best in the new year. It's been wonderful to meet you through blogging this past year.

Busy Bee Suz said...

We are on the verge of putting on the a/c. :)
Love that calendar, although you might know what my cats have NOT taught me: patience.
Love that you are reading the Book again, but a different way. Enjoy. I am going to check the link to the plan.
Love to you and your family.
Happy new year!!

West Side of Straight said...

Great idea in reading the Bible again, and again. I need to re read again. Love your kitty calendar picture. Oh to see 59 degrees again soon! ha- will be a couple of months now! Happy New Year Friend, jo

Bobbie said...

Thanks Lynda. This is awesome! I have never read the Bible in chronological order, but this is a good challenge... I'm going to do this!

This morning when I was in my Bible a verse hit me like a ton of bricks... and I was convicted to put it into my Blackberry... as an every day appointment at 9AM - the time I usually set aside for my closet time with God. This is a reminder to me.

Psalm 19:14

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Toyin O. said...

Hi Miss Lynda, That is a great plan for the New Year; I pray you get a greater revealation of God's love as you read thru the good book this new year. Have a blessed New Year and thanks for your visit and gracious comments:)

Pat said...

That is a cute calendar! I've not bought a calendar for 2011. I don't know what I'm waiting for!

That's quite an accomplishment and you are very discipline to read the Bible every day.

And I am impressed that you work out every day on the elliptical. You are looking great!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lynda, George and I do a daily devotional from the Book of Common Prayer. It is fabulous and helps our day go so much better. In our devotional, we read 4 scriptures: one OT, a Psalm, one NT, and a Gospel reading.These are interspersed with lots of prayers, etc.

Sounds like you are going to have a marvelous 2011.

God Bless You.
Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I think it's wonderful that you read the Bible completely each year. As Betsy mentioned we read each day, but some of the Old Testament is skipped.
I like the looks of your calendar.
Have a very happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year From Southern California.

Don't forget to watch the 122nd Rose Parade on New Year's Day coming from Pasadena, California...only 30 miles from The Old Geezer's home :-)

No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy today, mix good cheer with friends today enjoy it and bless God for it. ~Henry Ward Beecher

May God Bless and Protect You in the Year to Come. ~Ron

Caribbean Cindy said...

I got a beautiful lighthouse calendar on sale at Lifeway for this year. Now if I can just manage to get a hole in these concrete walls I might get to hang it up!! I am taking a break from reading the Bible through (3 years in a row) and going to go slower through some books. Right now it's Psalms using my friend's book A Year in the Psalms.

Caribbean Cindy said...

I got a beautiful lighthouse calendar from Lifeway. Now if I can just somehow get a hole into these concrete walls, I might hang it!! I am taking a break from reading the Bible through (last 3 years) and am doing my friend's book A Year Through the Psalms.