Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Day




It has been the traditional New Year’s Day at our house.  The tournament of Roses Parade was being broadcast while I cooked our traditional Southern Dinner.  I cooked black-eyed peas for my husband but since I grew up in upstate NY, they don’t appeal to my palate. 



  My plate has Great Northern Beans cooked a bit like Baked Beans.  Folklore has many explanations for eating these.  The one that was told to me by my mother-in-law was eating them on the first day of the year brings prosperity for the rest of the year.  The black-eyed peas represent coins so the more you eat, the more coins you’ll accumulate. 

Reason then expanded to include cooked greens with the meal to represent paper money.  

 
  Many people cook collards but since I don't like them, we have boiled cabbage.   My husband likes them but he's not doing the cooking.  However, he does like cabbage, too.

 
This year we put a new slant on an old tradition for cooking the cabbage.

I made Chicken & Apple Stew from the Slow Cooker Recipe book from Prevention.com.   Their recipe website is pretty neat because on many of the recipes, you can change the amount of servings you want to prepare and it will automatically change the measurement of the ingredients.  How cool is that?!!
It was going to take a while to find this exact link so basically here it is.
In a 4 qt crockpot, layer
1 lb boneless chicken  (they use dark, I used white)
1 lb carrots (sliced)
2 cups shredded green cabbage
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
1 onion, chopped

Mix these liquids & spices together & pour over above ingredients.
1 can (14.5) oz chicken broth
1/2 cup apple cider
1 Tbsp finely chopped sage (or 1 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Cook on low 6 hours or on high 3 hours.
If you want, you can thicken some of the liquid into gravy in a separate saucepan when the stew is done.

I want to make it again.  It was okay - - but I forgot the chicken broth (DUH to me) and it would have upped the flavor to very, very good!!!  The preparation is extremely easy - - - for those who can read and double-check!






You crown the year with your good blessings,  and you leave abundance in your wake.   
Psalms 65:11
(This is from the NET Bible.  I found it on Beth Moore's Blog.)



18 comments:

lani said...

happy new year!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the recipe! We both love cabbage. We've had a quiet, rainy day here; glad we were able to enjoy some sun yesterday. Happy New Year!

Busy Bee Suz said...

That sounds really delish....I usually forget an important ingredient now and then as well :)
Happy new year to you and your family!

George said...

It looks and sounds as if you have a delicious traditional meal for New Year's Day. Betsy made Hoppin John, a meal she introduced me to after we got married. It's supposed to bring good luck, and it must work since each year with her is better than the one before.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Happy New Year to Tennessee from Oz...
God Bless you heaps. I watched the Rose PArade on Youtube and it was spectacular!!
My hubby loves this cabbage...
We will be over in Rogersille for a week in Feb..hopw its still snowing. Huzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bobbie said...

Sounds good. I love cabbage...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lynda, You might like Hoppin' John --which I make... It's a one dish meal consisting of black-eyed peas, rice, bacon, onions, ham, and Kielbasa (or some kind of smoked sausage).... I make a huge pot --and we eat it for several different meals. We both really like it... AND--all of those black-eyed peas should bring us alot of money and good luck in 2011.

Sounds like you all had a great day... We've had rain and dreary conditions all day ---but that gave us reason just to relax and enjoy the day!!!!

Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

Patsy said...

We had Cabbage and ham, yours sounds delicious.

Today I read over 2 Sam 18-19 what a sad story about David and Absalom. Joab sure got David told off about his weeping.

Amy DeTrempe said...

Sounds good! We have always eaten cabbage for propserity. The kids used to complain we weren't rich and we had to point out that we have a roof over our head, jobs and food, so yes, the cabbage worked :).

Anonymous said...

OOOh I want try that recipe!

Thank you for all of your sweet comments~!!

Anonymous said...

The food sounds really good!!! Hope this New Year will bring many good Blessings to you and you family!!!

God's Blessings to you all!!!

Lon

Honeycombs said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I might even get the chance to give it a try in 2011. My intention is to try some new things.

Buttercup said...

Great recipe, especially as I've got some cabbage that needs cooking, and it's perfect crockpot weather.

P.S. Pigs in blankets seemed to be the most popular party food!

Unknown said...

Miss Lynda that recipe sounds delicious I am going to try it. I live upstate in N.Y in the Catskill Mountains I have lived in the South and never acquired a taste for black-eyed peas either... I hope 2011 is filled with Gods abundant blessings thanks again for sharing Patricia

grammy said...

I am going right over to check out that recipe site (o:
We have no real tradition on that day anymore...your meal sounds great.

Caribbean Cindy said...

I agree, that recipe sounded really great. I do like blackeyed peas but I don't like greens. Rick ate his in the Atlanta airport one day early at Pasquals as we passed through. If we are home I usually do blackeyed peas, sweet potatoes and corn bread. Now I am going to check out the recipe site! Thanks for sharing!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Can ya believe I'm 58 years old and have never ever partaken in black eyed peas. Maybe I shall put that one on my bucket list! Heeeheheh!

Your recipes sound fantastic...now did ya have any leftovers? Just sayin.....

God bless ya sweetie and have a marvelous New Year!!!

Silver said...

I love Psalm 65:11 in this version! What version is it? I usually read in the NIV one.

The Roses Parade sounds wonderful!

Smiles,
Silver
Reflections