Today I drove an hour to visit the classroom where my daughter is interning in a Kindergarten classroom as part of her requirement for the MAT program at Lee University. The environment in her school is delightful. It is obvious the teachers enjoy their coworkers. The students seemed very happy, too. Here is Amanda getting parent/teacher communication folders ready to send home.
She demonstrated the active board to me. Many of you probably know it is a white board on the wall that is actually an extension of your computer so the entire class can see. However, you use a special "pen" on the touchscreen to interact with the software. It is a LOT of fun - - both for the teacher and the children.
(Those are not birthmarks on her neck but rather some of the pictures being projected on the board.) Here is a small section of the classroom. As you can see, each child has his/her own locker. Over each two lockers is a wide storage cabinet for the teacher's supplies.
Today was 'Show & Tell' Time. Here is one stuffed toy eager to escape and be seen by all and cuddled by her owner.
One parent brought the family's new kitten because her daughter asked if she could. She was so thrilled to have a feline friend - - - - had been wanting one for a couple of years. The little girl decided to petition heaven with her prayers and a kitty showed up under her house within a week. How could the parent deny the child?
My daughter said that I was her show and tell. They asked why she brought her grandmother! However, I am the age of their grandmothers and they couldn't quite grasp the concept of their teacher being my "baby".
A couple of things really impressed me - - - besides the obvious great job my daughter did teaching the children. The first was each child was allowed to pick a plastic bag of "goodies". Evidently each Friday, a local ministry makes up enough 'sacks' of snacks for the students. There are up to half a dozen items. They can take them home or leave them at school for afternoon snack time.
The other was the simple spiral-bound notebooks each child received within the last two weeks. They are given assignments for journaling - - anything from completing a sentence to doing picture math problems. They can also write or draw in them during their free time because it is their book that they get to keep and take home at the end of the year. Those simple notebooks were treated like prized possessions.
After school, my "baby" and I went for a snack at a local restaurant that had these items on display for sale.
Log Sculpture
Yard Art from Tools like Shovels
Being in school every day with young, very active children takes a lot of energy for the teachers but it is exciting to see how much they are learning. It was a FUN, relaxing day for me. I had a GREAT time!
Buy truth - don't sell it for love or money; buy wisdom, buy education, buy insight. Proverbs 23:23



16 comments:
sounds like a great day! WTG to your daughter for picking teaching as her profession! We need good dedicated teachers out there!! School sure has changed since my kids were in school; they didn't have that active board when they were in school; it does seem like a good thing to have though!!
cute you were her show and tell :)
betty
Hi Lynda, Gee--times have changed... A Kindergartener with a JOURNAL.... When I was in Kindergarten, we had no clue about writing... They teach them earlier and earlier these days...I'm sure that your daughter is going to be a fabulous teacher and that you are proud of her.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy
Sounds like a wonderful day. You must be very proud of your daughter and all that she is doing. Kindergarten expectations have certainly changed over the years. It used to be more like daycare - now the kids really do learn.
Good morning Lynda. You must have been so proud! And what a beautiful job your daughter is doing with these children!! I loved the story about the little girl and the kitten. So sweet.
LOVED the first board that you showed. I love the colorful things you can cut out and laminate and then cut out again for teaching - I don't really want to teach, just want to prepare the materials!!! Never had seen a active board. Pretty amazing. I know Amanda is a FANTASTIC teacher and she could not have brought a better show and tell!! SO glad you had this time together!
Awww, that is an amazing time with your daughter. I love the pictures of the school, it must have been exicting to see all those kids in a learning enviroment. I love the realtionship you have with your daughter, so deligthful to see:)
How fun to be the show and tell!
Sounds like a great day (o:
Is she going to be a Kindergarten teacher? My #3 Granddaughter is in K. She reads already. I don't remember reading at 5....do you?
Your snack sounds great too (o:
Good job Mrs. Amanda! I know you are doing a super job. Mrs. Lynda I'm glad you got to go see her. I know that was a precious treat.
It sounds as if you had a great time. I can only imagine being a 'show-and-tell' exhibit, but I imagine the children enjoyed it as much as you and your daughter did. It looks and sounds as if she is doing her internship in a very exciting and excellent school.
Your baby impressed me, she is doing a wonderful job.
I will have to look for Gerda's first book I think I will like it.
Wow - that looks like a great day for you. I know you enjoyed seeing your daughter and the students.
There is a guy near us that has a carved bear made out of a stump in his yard that reminds me a lot of the one you show here.
Hope you have a good week Lynda.
Dang, your pictures in your other post load but for some reason this post won't load pics for me.
I sounds like you and daughter had a wonderful day together.
The little ones are so cute but I taught Middle School. I always did like a good challenge! Heeehehehe!!!!
God bless ya and have a beautiful day!
Giveaway...my place! :o)
What a great way to spend the day with your daughter.
It sounds like your daughter is a great teacher. We need all the good teachers we can get nowadays.
Take care and have a great week :-)
~Ron
*******
That is wonderful, sounds like a lot of fun, and I really like the pictures of art as well.
God's Blessings to you and yours,
Lon
Looks like a fun classroom..we need many teachers with enthusiasm for their craft..:)
Post a Comment