Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Heaven on Earth

That's what bookstores are to librarians - - Heaven on Earth!  Yesterday, I got to go shopping for our church library.  For my first stop, I decided to pick up some excellent condition used books at  McKay's

They have an amazing selection of books/videos/cds.  It's almost overwhelming.

Yes, it is a two story building.

I did some shopping at our Lifeway Bookstore, too.  We definitely have quite a few books to process for the library shelves beginning next week.

On the way home, I had intended to stop at Lee University and sign up for Encore Classes at Lee
This are for 'seniors' who are age 60 or above.  Basically for only $25, you can sign up for two classes - - mini classes or a full semester.  If you do the 'regular' classes, you can either audit them or do the assignments and tests and receive college credit.
However, I decided to wait until I retire.  I could fit one more activity in my schedule but I am tired of having a lot to do every day and every week.  Plus, we have a lot we want to do around our house for the next few months.

My main interest in taking a class was to learn more about Microsoft programs - - - but there is a free online tutorial.  I started working on it last night.  Here is the link if you are interested.  It's impressive that they have so many versions available.

Today was a lovely lunch with a birthday girl at Gondolier 
My meal of choice was spaghetti and meatballs - - some of the best meatballs I have eaten in any restaurant.
(I have no spaghetti pictures - - that is their pizza.)





And that's all the news for tonight.  There is more to post - - but will do that another day.  Right now I have a book to read!

. . . . of making many books there is no end . . .   Ecclesiastes 12:12b


 

11 comments:

George said...

I think I could spend several days in that bookstore. I admire you for getting in and out in time to go to another store as well.
That pizza looks good and the spaghetti and meatballs sounds good.
I hope you have a great weekend.

Busy Bee Suz said...

The book store looks HUGE...I can see why this would be heavenly for you!!!
The college classes sound great....hopefully you will have some time soon.
I took a few classes myself years ago for the tech stuff; microsoft word, office, excel etc....it was great to learn it without having to guess all the time. :)
Have a great weekend!

Amanda said...

I find myself pining for McKay's. I do enjoy shopping there.

Bobbie said...

There's something about a book store and library that make my heart race... I can't imagine anyone getting bored in this world today with all there is to do and most especially with all there is to read.. I just wish there was more time in a day. Reading is something I love to do, but it is so far down on my list that when I get to it at the end of the day, I'm so tired that it doesn't last long. Maybe when I retire!! This bookstore looks great.. as does the food pictures. (I love italian). Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!!

Buttercup said...

I'd love the bookstore, too. I'm thinking about senior classes, but that will have to wait for next year and a slower schedule. We never lost power and it's cool enough right now that I've turned off the air conditioning. Prayers for Schoharie County!

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit the bookstore! John recently started listening to books on tape and is enjoying it very much.
Have a good week, Lynda.
M. Lane

Patsy said...

I would like that book store, know you had fun.

Pat said...

That book store is amazing.....a person could get LOST in that bookstore for days!!!

Toyin O. said...

That is so awesome Lynda that you want to take classes and you are trying to learn Microsoft; so proud of you. I hope you got a lot of good books for your library. The food looks good, thanks for sharing.

grammy said...

I want that pizza (o:
Our Library has BED BUGS!
it was on the news and in the newspaper.
I have been at the library a lot lately....kind of takes the joy out of it....boo wooo

Karen said...

Those courses for seniors seem like a great opportunity! Enjoy your book!