That's how long we have been married. Today is our anniversary. Here we are at the AFLAC Christmas Party in 1977 - - married a year and a quarter.
I think I was a size 3 at that point in life. Fast forward - - and it has flown by fast - - to last year.
Did you recognize us as the same people? Maybe if I took off my glasses and he put on a suit, would we look similar?
I knew I struck pure gold when Bill and I met. And the years have only proven it more and more. Today we didn't travel out of town but stayed close to home because we just wanted to relax and not be on the road. The furthest we journeyed was down Memory Lane while dining at Aubrey's.
When discussing the highlights and challenging parts of all the years, I told Bill if I had it to do over again, I would have treated him nicer more often. Rather than 'fussing' at him over 'stuff', I would have tried to be sweeter in conversation.
However, some things I think have strengthened our marriage and kept us really happy together are:
1. Focusing and being thankful for the positive things about your spouse. Bill's good points are numerous!
We all have faults but why dwell on them? It just gives you the wrong mindset. Have an attitude of gratitude.
2. Treat each other with respect - - especially in public. Don't do or say anything that would be derogatory or embarrassing to your spouse.
3. Enjoy each day and every minute you have with each other. Time flies by way too fast. I really wished we had realized that sooner, too.
Any other suggestions you might want to add? Thanks for recognizing our milestone with us.
And this provides a good picture of how each husband is to treat his wife, loving himself in loving her, and how each wife is to honor her husband. Ephesians 5:33

16 comments:
I love your marriage points! I alos have to work on saying kind things.
Congrats, Lynda. You two look great NOW --and then.... I can tell that happiness becomes you both!!!!!
Great thought about treating each other with respect in public.. Lots of couples don't do that.
Hope you have had a good day. We finally are getting some rain... Yeah!
Hugs,
Betsy
So glad to celebrate with you and Bill. Happy and healthy wishes for the next thirty-five and I want to celebrate with you then, too. Blessings and good wishes!
Happy anniversary to you both!!!!
I think you are a beautiful couple then and NOW. :)
I love your marriage pointers....very wise words from a wife who has lived it already.
It is wonderful when you strike gold AND you know it when it happens.
Take care,
Suz
Happy anniversary! ;) I'll add to it that it is great to have grown up being able to see an example of a loving marriage. Not everyone is as lucky as I was to have two parents that not only loved me but also loved each other.
Happy Anniversary to you and your husband! wishing you many more years together!! I like your marriage pointers. I would have added "pray for your spouse daily from day one"; took me a long time to pray and then to pray consistently for him.
betty
Happy Anniversary wishes to you both! You are a lovely couple and very blessed to have one another.
Hi Lynda... and congratulations on 35 years!! What a beautiful post this was. It did bring tears to my eyes. You guys are just as beautiful now as you were back then! I wish my 1st husband and I would have followed your 'rules' for a happy marriage.. it may not have ended in divorce. I'm hoping that I am different now, and learned from my 1st marriage (which was just short of 20 yrs.) God has a way of showing us, teaching us, and bringing us where we need to be and I'm thankful that he has taught me how important your list of rules are for a marriage to succeed. Thanks for the reminder!!
God bless you both.. hope you had a wonderful day!!
Happy Anniversary!! We will be at 33 next April. Your advice is absolutely perfect, and I will try to be more mindful of them, especially #1 :) Love the pics! -Tammy
Happy Anniversary a little late. You both look radiant in both pictures. Your tips for a happy marriage are right on.
Congratulations Miss Lynda!!!! You too look so happy! Good luck and here's to another 35 years!
Hugs, jo
Happy Anniversary! You look wonderful! You've lost weight haven't you? My you were really YOUNG when you got married!
Wonderful advice on marriage, btw!
God bless your life in love, fmaily friends and the church. How many children do you ahve? Any grnad kids. Answer on my blog and do follow!!
These are great advice, I love those pictures, and yes, I can recognize you:)
Love the pics
great now and then...
Congrats to you and
keep working...
we are better together now than ever...you bring up good points.
Your suggestions 1 to 3 cover all the important stuff! And I am happy to think of you reading my book one day soon. Terra
Post a Comment