Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

January?

Do you see what's blooming here?  
This is not supposed to happen in January.  And tonight, the forecast is for below freezing so the flowers may be deceased tomorrow.

However, our winter rye should be fine.  Remember it was sown about three weeks ago?  It started growing this week!  I was quite excited to see the results.  The straw looks the size of branches but that gives you an idea of how tiny the grass is.
The above picture was taken with my 'macro' turned on.  I know many of you probably use it a lot.  However, I am camera/computer shy unless someone tells me what to do.  I don't experiment cuz I don't want to break anything.

Well, this week, I started a community digital photography class at Cleveland State Community College.    We will have six 90 minute classes once a week.  This week's class was entitled "How do I Work this Thing?"  Our instructors are fun, very knowledgeable, and talk quickly - - - so we learn a lot in our little time.  This week we were told to keep our camera on program, highest resolution, and practice.
As you can see, I was fascinated with the macro setting.  That's my water bottle and below is a small hand-painted vase.


Before class I had a quick supper with our older daughter at Chick-Fil-A.  On Friday, my husband and I ate lunch with friends at our favorite Mexican Restaurant.  Today - - some of our favorite men visited us again!

 Remember last week my husband was scraping the "texture" off the ceiling?  We knew we couldn't paint over it because some had already started to fall.  Plus we like the look of a flat ceiling.
  
Our kitchen had an old fluorescent light fixture recessed into the middle of the ceiling which of course did not illuminate the counter tops adequately.  We decided to replace it with the canned lights.
 And here is the finished product  - - thanks to our contractor, Mark Beaty, his assistant, Tyler, and Ownby Eelctric!
 (hmmmmmm - - something didn't come out right with that pic - - - - see the "texture in it?)  The patch in the ceiling still needs another application of drywall mud and then it will be ready to paint next week.  My poor husband - - - it's a never-ending story with those paint cans!  Just think what a trim waist he will develop with all that reaching with the brush and roller!  He's precious.

. . . construction has continued from then until the present, but it is still not finished.  Ezra 5:16b GNT

 

13 comments:

Terra said...

Your daffodils are gorgeous; we are having warm weather too. 70 degrees today. Your kitchen improvements are coming along nicely.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lynda, Can you believe that spring is coming so soon???? I'm shocked... Hope we don't have such an early spring because in 2007, we did --and then had a horrible frost the first of April... Everything died... So SAD...

Our yards do like all of the rain we have been having.. BUT--I really wanted to see some winter and some SNOW... Grrrrrrrrrr.... ha

Congrats on taking a photography class.. I'm sure you are loving it.

Hugs,
Betsy

Patsy said...

It sure has been a mild winter so for. Things are poping up in my yard.Your daffodils are a joy to see.

Rae said...

Just think of all those photos you are going to take and post here. We will be in awe of your new talent. I am already impressed with the macro water bottle and vase shots.

Buttercup said...

I saw buds coming up in New York yesterday. That's not supposed to happen! Your class sounds great. I took a class on cell phone camera photography last week and I liked it a lot. I did realize how much I don't know.

Amanda said...

That blue vase came from a glass making place in Japan...brought back by one of your lovely daughters.

Glad you are enjoying your macro setting. I have a lot of fun with mine.

Looking forward to seeing the kitchen lights someday. I'm sure it looks much better.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to be attending classes. I think that will be great! I love your new kitchen lights. I'm worried what the real spring is going to look like!!!

Pat said...

I hope your daffodils don't get hurt by the frost! Maybe you'd better cover them!

Good for you for taking that photography class!

I bet you will be so glad when everything is finished in your house!

Sammy and Missy Parris said...

That is so neat about the Photography class. Can't wait to see your pictures. Glad the home improvements are going well and Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so happy for you to be learning some photography skills!!! It is so much fun when you know a bit more. Lolo loves using macro...and you did a great job here too; so cool.
Did I tell you that I am working part-time for a photographer? I am mostly doing her bookkeeping and organizing, but I hope to learn editing too. Tomorrow night I am taking a cram course for photoshop; this is the type of learning that I enjoy!
Your kitchen ceiling and lighting is going to be so fabulous when it is done...it will be well worth the time, effort and mess!
Yay for baby grass!

grammy said...

I need to take a photography class...
point and shoot is my style... but that has not been working all that well for me either.
The work just goes on and on... I bet you guys will be soooo glad it is over.
About the flowers coming up... it is going on here too... crazy weather!!!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh my.. Spring Fever! We've had several dandelions blooming lately, and our bees were out for a few days too. Unheard of in late Jan/early Feb!! Great pictures. I am jealous (in a good way) you are taking a class! Hope you'll share lots of homework with us ;) Best wishes on the kitchen improvements. We're about to jump right in to something (kitchen floor?) on this ol' house. -Tammy

Far Side of Fifty said...

Daffodils..how wonderful! You have a big project going on in that kitchen! :)