Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

This Week

A new ministry began a few months ago at First Baptist.  The "ministers" meet the first Thursday of the month.

A trio of women felt God telling them that perhaps not everyone will go on an overseas mission trip - - - but they could contribute to the trip in a unique way.

During the year, at least three mission trips from our church are to orphanages.  The goal of the FBC Women using needles and thread is to make a quilt for each child and staff member at the orphanage.  These quilts will be delivered by the mission team visiting that area.

Other than the original trio, many other women arrive at the church around 9 am and stay until 2 or 3.  In addition to the massive amount of work they accomplish, individual dishes are brought for a potluck luncheon.

God is strengthening these women spiritually during these times, too.  One way is their box of fabric has never gotten empty.  Contributions continue to come in. 
Also, the ladies are making fleece quilts for the homeless shelter here in our city. 

In other news, my husband had "minor" surgery to remove a cyst on his lower back.  It was one of those that looked small on the surface but was like an iceberg - - - got bigger the deeper they cut - - with local anesthetic.  He has fourteen external stitches - - - but is healing extremely fast with less pain than anticipated.  However, he is not allowed any strenuous activity - - for weeks.  We'll find out what that involves in two more weeks when the stitches come out.

 Our contractor, Mark Beaty, returned this week with the backhoe operator.  More grading was done on our yard - - - AND today, I reseeded half of this with Winter Rye.  (We are trying to prevent any rain from washing the dirt down the hill.) The other half of seed sowing happens tomorrow.  We underestimated the amount we would need - - - and the straw to cover the seed did not get delivered due to delivery truck problems.  We are hoping no birds discover it and have a feast!

Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?  Matthew 6:26




 
 

14 comments:

betty said...

I like your church's missionary project and their idea that not all have to go to a different country or city in order to be a missionary! Those quilts will be appreciated by all! Hoping too the birds don't discover the feast of wheat before the straw arrives! Does seem like a pretty invasive procedure for your husband, glad he's not in a lot of pain with it though!

betty

Anonymous said...

That's a very wonderful ministry by the women. God bless them!

Hoping your husband heals well. Your yard is looking good. I know you are both glad to be to this point.

Karen said...

What a wonderful ministry. I know a young father who had received a grim diagnosis, who received a "prayer quilt" and a lot of prayer from a group of ladies like this and he is doing well today. He proudly displays the quilt as a wall hanging.

Buttercup said...

What a great way to use sewing talents. The quilts are beautiful. Recovery prayers for your husband. I hope the pain goes away completely. I had the restriction of not lifting anything over 25 pounds for two months after my surgery. Wishes for a great week.

Busy Bee Suz said...

The quilts are just beautiful...and what a selfless gift of those talented ladies!
I hope your husband is doing good and can get back to his regular duties soon. Does this mean you have to spread all the seed yourself??? Oh, if those birds find out what you did....FEAST!!!
I hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful!
Take care, Suz

Pat said...

What a wonderful project! Those quilts look beautiful!

The house looks as good as new! You had a great contractor, and that's saying a LOT in this day and age!

So sorry to hear about your husband; glad it wasn't too serious. I hope he's back on his feet in no time!

grammy said...

The quilts are such a great idea and a great outreach!
The house and yard project is coming along great!
Praying for a fast and full recovery for your husband (o:

George said...

I think these women in your church have a wonderful ministry. It's wonderful the way that God-given talents can be used in His service.

I hope your husband is recovering well from his surgery. I also hope the birds left some seed in your new yard.

Savories of life said...

I love the uilt. I am making my first!

Rachel said...

The project at church is precious! I am praying for your husbands recovery.

----Rachel

Caribbean Cindy said...

My home church has a quilt ministry. They make lap quilts and fleece blankets, pray over them and share them with their members (and others) going into the hospital because of illness or surgery. They made one for me and presented it to me while my mother was stil alive. Many of the church members signed it. It is one of my MOST cherished possessions! So glad to see FBC start this ministry. Will pray for Bill to be back 100% very soon!

Jazzie Shea said...

This is so beautiful!
Have you ever heard of The Pillow Case Project?
They are a ministry where women from all over create dresses from pillow cases to donate to the girls of Africa. They have such beautiful hearts and a passion for the orphaned. I believe their website is: www.thepillowcaseproject.blogspot.com

Jazzie
www.jsheaa.blogspot.com

Allen said...

Ah the quilts brings back so many memories. My mom and grandmother would make them for past time. Your yard is looking great. Better than the last time I saw it.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a wonderfully worthwhile ministry project. Those quilts will bless many.

Know I'm prayin' for that dear Hubs of yours girl.

God bless ya and have a fantastic week!!! :o)