We are blessed beyond words to be included in the family of our daughter's in-laws. Today we went to a cookout surprise party for the brother of Amanda's mother-in-law. It was held at the home place of Tommy's wife & her sister.
This is not Tommy in the below picture. It is my husband, Bill.
We had a GREAT time. Their family is a lot of fun with great personalities. We have yet to meet a stranger in their family even on our first meeting with them.
Since Tommy was turning sixty and likes the music of that era, CDs of the popular songs played throughout the day. Some of us older attendees sang along with the music which I am sure was appreciated by the younger generation.
I like
what they did with these chairs. Each was painted a different primary
color with the cushions covered in old blue jean pants. Pretty clever
and they looked great. This house had a large wrap-around covered porch
area. It's very relaxing and inviting. As you can see, even the neighbor's
adorable pup enjoyed the party.
When we left, my husband had another surprise. He knows I have been wanting to go to the Fields of the Wood and since it is in the area, he secretly got the directions from our son-in-law. He told me when we got in the car. It's pretty impressive to see the stone tables on the side of a mountain. Each letter is five feet tall. RoadSide America has a nice write-up on this, too.
You can climb the stairs to the top of either mountain. Or you can do as we did, and take your car on the road to the top. (It was too hot to climb and my left knee has been swelling the last 2-3 weeks. It's arthritis and overuse. I will start my physical therapy exercises at home again and pray they help.)
Here is a lovely area to relax and enjoy the view.
Pictures from the top. The words, "Jesus died for our sins." are live-trimmed hedges.
Looking down from the top of the mountain at the Commandments.
The view of the mountains is incredible. The picture doesn't do it justice. Bill and I discussed that we need to drive back this way when the leaves have their color-show. As for Fields of the Wood, it is a great place for a picnic or to take a church group. There is no admission fee but donations are welcomed.
And if anyone is wondering, the storms this past Thursday night were quite intense again. I will post pictures of the results next time.
Then the Lord said to Moses, "Come up to Me on the mountain and be there; and I will give you tablets of stone, and the law and commandments which I have written, that you may teach them." Exodus 24:12









7 comments:
The party looks like so much fun. So enjoyed your photos and adding my prayers for your knee.
My sis is 60 and that music is very familiar to me. That sounds like a fun party and that is a gorgeous dog. As children, our church youth visited Fields of the Wood - your pics brought back sweet memories.
What a wonderful day you had! How neat to be included in celebrations like this at your daughter's in-laws. For some people, entertaining and fellowship come so easy (not for me though, LOL) so glad that you feel comfortable at their home. Cute idea with the chairs too!
That Field of Woods looks like such a marvelous place to visit too. I think your idea to come back when the leaves change (and hopefully when your knee feels better) is a wonderful idea indeed!
Hoping the pictures you post from the storm don't show too much damage! Those did seem like such intense storms indeed!
betty
We've driven past Fields of the Wood a couple of times. We'll need to allow enough time to stop by the next time we are in that area. It sounds as if the surprise party was a lot of fun.
The party looks like a blast from the past...LOVE the denim chairs! I feel the same way about my extended family; blessed.
What a nice surprise for you from your sweet Bill....I've never heard of this place and it looks amazing.
I'm glad that all is well in your neck of the woods.
XOXOXOOX
Wow what wonderful pictures. where is this place? Thanks for always reading my bog!
I remember going to Fields of those Woods when I was a young girl. I would like to go back and re-visit! Your photos were great! So glad you got to experience it.
Post a Comment