I was almost asleep just before 11 pm on Sunday evening when I heard some strong sudden winds outside the window. They were worse than anything we have experienced. There were Straight-Line Winds in our neighborhood. As a result, a few large limbs blocked a road. Our neighbor had a tree across her driveway. We had the top of a tree at the end of our driveway left with dangerous dangling limbs.
To give you an idea of the height of this tree, our house is shown below. Our driveway is on the right-hand side of the picture. The tree is out near the road.
But we had a second tree - - a hickory - - beside the driveway at the garage door that was struck by lightening the same night. That is a story for another blog. Our understanding is insurance may cover that so we will file the claim before proceeding further.
So you are able to see in these shots, an idea of the height of our trees. We aren't tree-climbers and don't have a bucket truck but were told by insurance the limbs had to come down - - - on our nickel. Since we knew about the danger, we would be liable if anyone or their property (cars) was damaged.
Bill was on the phone a LOT trying to contact tree services. Ronnie's was the first to give us an early scheduling date and to respond to our messages. They had done previous work for us many years ago.
Safely buckled.
A large branch being lowered by rope.
As we requested, the limbs were lowered to the side of our driveway. Our neighbors will help us cut them in cooler weather. Then we will give them to others for firewood or take them elsewhere.
My sweet blogger/tree-hugger friend, Suzy, will be happy to know that we only "topped" the tree. We were told it would be fine once it was trimmed. As you will see in the next couple of pictures, we still are surrounded by a forest even with so much taken off of one!
Now that the chain saws have done their work from the bucket truck, Bill uses his brute masculine strength to begin clean-up!
He does help make my blog posts fun!
We are VERY THANKFUL that God once again protected us. No trees landed on the house and damaged it. (Actually one limb did do some damage to a gutter but that's no biggie.) Also when lightening hit the other tree, it did not catch fire which also would have torched our house. The area was dry as tinder before the rain began falling.
So - - - we had more education and entertainment - - - and 97 pictures of the process today. Plus we got to visit with a neighbor or two while watching the tree guys work.
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8















9 comments:
I'm thankful that you both are safe and that damage was minimal. Glad you were able to get Ronnie's back to lend an experienced hand. Bill looks like a mighty good sport! Hope you both have a restful night.
So glad that you are safe and the trees have been taken down safely. Take good care!
Woooooo Lynda.. That was a close call... I read about those winds. Scary I'm sure.
Seems like insurance loves to do what they can to 'wiggle' out of paying for something....
Glad you got the trees topped though.. Stay SAFE.
Hope you have had a wonderful 4th of July. Great post.
Hugs,
Betsy
Very tall trees around you! I can see why it would be good to top them like you did after the storm damage. I hope you guys had a great Fourth; I'm sure you are counting down the days until your little grandson makes his appearance :)
betty
Hi Lynda!
Its hard to take down a tree that is so large and has been there obviously for so long. You did the right thing. You are so lucky there wasn't big damage and you weren't hurt.
....and now you have 96 pictures to show off the job....isn't this digital world nice?
I hope you had a lovely 4th of July!
Judi
Good to know you're safe! I've always loved trees.. but we don't have any in our yard... I guess they can be pretty destructive too, at a time like this.
I hope you enjoyed your 4th !
You never told us Bill knew karate! LOL.
I'm so thankful for the same things as you...no fire and no human or home damage! And luckily, the trees will live to see another day. :)
Never a dull moment huh?
xoxo
Wow! A close call! Glad nobody and nothing was harmed! Your husband is funny!
I'm glad there was no damage done to your house during the lightning and wind storm. We're also surrounded by tall trees, but fortunately we've been spared any damage so far.
Post a Comment