On our return trip from Dothan, AL on July 6 and 7, we stopped at Callaway Gardens. It is a place Bill and I visited frequently during our first few couple of years of marriage because it was about an hour from where we lived in Columbus, GA.
Our original plans were to stop for just part of the day but the rates for overnight on the internet specials were only $99 and that included our $36 entrance into the Gardens. This special is still in effect for at least a couple more months. It is one of the most economical vacations available if you live in the area.
I took BUNCHES of pictures but have whittled it down to just a few to give you the flavor of the area. And it will still take about 3 or 4 posts for the rest of them. The first are from the butterfly atrium.
My question - - who counts them? How do you get them to stop flying and stay in one place to count them? And you will notice that I only have one picture of a butterfly. My camera settings got switched and the pictures are grainy. That's okay since we will visit the butterfly atrium at the Chattanooga Aquarium again soon.
The next pictures are from the Horticultural Center. Again, I have LOTS of pictures of individual plants but will show you a basic overview.
One of the plants I liked the most was this Chenille Plant. I had never seen one.
And I will finish with some waterfall fun. The last picture was taken on the backside of the waterfall looking to the outside.
These pictures can't begin to even show you the "tip of the iceberg" of over 10,000 acres in this attraction that contains biking trails, a golf course, and white sand beaches on a lake. Posting the pictures is good for me because it takes me back to the wonderful relaxation of our vacation there.
Then the Lord God planted a garden . . . . Genesis 2:8a . . . He made all kinds of beautiful trees grow there . . . Genesis 2:9a















12 comments:
Wow. Great pictures. I absolutely love gardens and they always inspire me to try different things with my own and take better care of the garden spots I already do have. This year I have spent very little time. Thank goodness my husband hasn't let them go because other activities were taking me away from my yard.
Callaway is one of my favorite places but we have not been in about ten years. Your photos are wonderful. I especially love that last picture looking thru the water! I have heard of the chennile plant but never seen one growing - what a pretty flower. Thanks so much for sharing your vacation with us. Can't wait to see more.
What a gorgeous place. It looks so relaxing and peaceful. It is well worth the price of admission.
Ha! Who counts the butterflies indeed! They must have a rough count and keep track of the species, wouldn't you think?
That chenille plant is cool looking. I don't think I've ever seen one either.
I love the waterfalls. Nothing like the sound of rushing water.
It looks like a beautiful place to spend the day.
I too love Callaway Gardens.. it where Bobby and I spent our honeymoon. Last year Bobby surprised me with a trip back there for our anniversary. I didn't know where we were going but was told to pack and that I would only need casual clothes. We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. I didn't know where we going until we were past Atlanta and didn't get on I20. Then I figured it out after awhile.
I'm glad you all had such a nice visit...I too had never seen a chenille plant. I enjoyed talking with you last night.
Nancy
Love
Love that place and your pictures are great...did you get a new camera?
Looks like a lovely trip!
Would you believe I lived in GA all for life and have never been here. I think we have to do something about that the next time we are in for awhile! I loved seeing these pictures! Glad you and Bill found a great deal!
That is amazing to look at
and even more fun to experience I am sure
you are so right...
who counts the butterflies (o: ???
I spent my growing up years in Columbus(Ft.Benning)and we went to the Calloways several times for swimming and a picnic. Thanks for sharing.
I came across your blog through another blog I follow and have signed up as a follower. When you’re free, please do visit me and let me know what you think of my blog and leave a comment. If you like, do follow as well. I am always open to great new people and interesting websites. Look forward to hearing from you.
What a glorious place!! I could really get my OCFD fix there and the water features are just amazin' girl, you captured it all so well.
Ya'll have a terrifically blessed Thursday sweetie!!!
I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God's blessings. Lloyd
Those pics are so prety miss lynda.
Post a Comment