Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Shoot or be Shot!


This isn't a tale of the old west but it is a tale of someone getting older.  She has never shot a gun before or never had her finger on a trigger.


But that didn't keep her from getting trigger finger .  It is in the ring finger, right-hand - - - her dominant hand.  Basically it is a swelling of the sheath surrounding the tendon which causes inflammation in the tendon. 


The hand surgeon said it's caused by aging.  I prefer what the internet said that it's a type of repetitive stress injury.  The doctor said he could fix that with a cortisone shot.  I said I prefer to start with anti-inflammatory drugs and physical therapy.  He basically said that the best option was a cortisone shot.  I know I could have refused treatment and left  the office but I also knew the finger needed some serious attention.

So I received an injection in the palm about a finger width below the ring finger.  I was more concerned that I might faint than I was about the pain so I asked the doctor if he would be bothered if I passed out

Long story short, it was not painful like I anticipated (and I did not faint) - - - but the injection site has been VERY tender  and bruised the last two days!  It can be up to two weeks to know if the cortisone did any good.  I sure hope so because I do not want or "need" surgery at this point in life - - not when we are getting ready to move over 10,000 books to our new church building in about 6 weeks.

And I know this is not a big deal to cope with because many of my friends have serious issues  from MS to cancer and other maladies in between.  But I am a person of little patience when my body is not functioning 100%.  Plus I expect the treatment to fix me within hours rather than days.   Other than that, it's been a great week.

And my treatment was minuscule compared to what our precious Lord endured for us!

 . . the nails in HIS hands . . . John 20:25b

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I sure hope the shot does the trick. I did not realize that you would be moving into a new library so soon. I hope you'll be good as new by that time. Enjoy the weekend.

Amanda said...

I have little patience as well in these situations...I must get it from you. I'm less than pleased that my feet are still having issues.

Pat said...

Usually it takes a couple of days for the cortisone to work. I've had the shots in my feet and I remember feeling relief an a few days.

Good luck!

Rae said...

Sounds like a real annoyance and problem every time you want to carry or lift something. Aging sure does have its nuisances. I hope this one is over with soon for you.