Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

And the Walls Came Crumbling Down!

This is what happened on Labor Day when we had over 10 inches of rain in a very short time.  Our basement wall cracked and bulged inward due to movement of the earth behind it.   We waited on insurance evaluation and got estimates and education from foundation contractors.  Four days ago, we had given an initial payment to the contractor of our choice.  He was scheduled to be here this morning at 8 a.m. to put up a temporary support wall.  He arrived at 7:30.
Well  - - last night we got another deluge of a rainstorm.  The earth moved again and the entire 27 foot long front basement foundation wall fell to the ground.  This picture is inside the basement looking outside into the front yard early this morning.  See the neighbor's house across the street?!!

The next two are more of the same but also show the wall on the floor.



And here we are outside - -- looking in before excavation has begun.  Notice under the window on the left - - you can see through the basement out into the back yard.

Inside temporary support wall is up - - - in a very short time.  We were impressed.

Keep us in prayer.  It is what literally has kept our house from collapsing.  The contractors said, "Why didn't the house collapse?  It should have collapsed.  What was holding the wall up?
I said, "Prayer."
One of the men said, "It's all you need."
This experience has been more than we anticipated when we became empty-nesters but we have seen God's protecting hand in all of it.




Remember chapter one of the Book of Job - - - nothing happens unless God allows it.  HE walks through life every step of the way with us.

15 comments:

Amanda said...

Glad that you all are okay, and that they have the temporary support up. Will keep praying.

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray and am thankful that you both are safe.

Pat said...

Oh my gosh, the pictures really tell the horror story! Thank GOD you are okay. Sounds like the contractors are doing a good job. I will pray that everything goes okay.

Laura said...

Speechless!!!!!!

We'll continue to pray..we to are still battling flood damage /issues! We had 3 different groups of workers here today...each working on there own projects. Yet, our loving faithful Lord carriers us. And as for you and Bill, He is your foundation ...literally!

Huge to you friend,
Laura

Caribbean Cindy said...

These photos made me so sad and yet so thankful at the same time that your house stood and also that God protected you! Prayer will keep holding up not only your house but also you and Bill as you face the expense of this repair. Your attitude is giving such a great testimony to God!! Love you!

George said...

Unbelievable is the only thing I can say after seeing these pictures. But it's obvious that God led you to the right contractor.

betty said...

I just can't imagine! Wow!! You are so right, prayer and God was holding up your foundation. It is good to hear though that the contractor showed up early and got to work starting to get things done. Maybe this is a testimony for you guys on your faith and God's provision for you to share with others working on the house. But you are right, God knows everything and allows what he allows, even though sometimes it doesn't make much sense!

betty

West Side of Straight said...

Oh So sorry for you Miss Lynda! What a mess. Soon your contractors will have it all fixed, and for good. Looks like some tree roots in the way too. Hope all goes well in fixing the basement.

Rachel said...

I am so sorry! You guys will be in my prayers.

Busy Bee Suz said...

OH MY GOSH.....I can't believe this!!! I would have flipped out seeing my house fall apart.
Bless you for keeping your cool.
Sending up prayers for you and your home Lynda!!!!
I am so glad you are both safe.

grammy said...

That is just so scary...you have the right attitude for sure.

I think a few tears may be in order though.
So sorry this happened to you.
Thankful no one was hurt though.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those photos are awfully scary. Thank goodness you are OK..what a big project you have. Stay strong..you will get through this:)

The Once and Future Cat Lady said...

I showed the pictures to one of my co-workers. When he saw the collapsed blocks, he asked me if a cat or dog was under there. I said "NO!!!!"

Buttercup said...

You know you have my continuing prayers. Spent the day with my Bible study friends and we were talking about Job. We spent three years studying Job and it was among the best hours of my life.

Savories of life said...

I prasie God you are fine. Hope not too much was lost. Some times we get rain in our basement and we have lost boxes of pictures before.