Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Day!

It's the last day - - not just of 2011 but also of my vacation.  It has flown by so quickly but it has been wonderful to have little or no schedule and get eight hours sleep every night.  Bill and I know we are definitely looking forward to retirement within the next few years.

But until then, 'regular' life goes on.  Here was the activity at our house the beginning of Christmas week.  We woke up to the backhoe in the yard about three days in a row.  Praise God!  They came to put these blocks in front of our two basement walls that get the most stress from the ground.
Each block weighs 4,000 pounds.

It was fascinating to watch them but it made me nervous for them, too.  Even though the backhoe lowered them, the guys had to guide them in place while making sure none hit the house or injured a worker.
Nothing can get to that wall now!  I don't have all the pictures of the process since I was at work.  However, I was told that stone was put in the area to the right and left of these blocks.  Long drains are between the house and blocks.  Heavy stucco/masonry metal is attached to the blocks and the basement wall.  It is covered with heavy, heavy black liner.  Then dirt is added to all of it.

These are the backhoe operators who worked some very long days.


However they have taken us from this yard . . . . 

to this!
This year is about to be finished and so is our outside construction.  They have done a fantastic job.  We made new friends in this old year but they will rejoin us once again in the new year to smooth us out just a bit more.
Even though you see LOTS of rain outside - - - - our basement is DRY, DRY, DRY!!!!!  Praise God!!!
 See ya next year when we will all share new adventures together.

 Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it . . . Psalm 127:1a

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have found a great company to solve your water problems.

God bless you all in the new year.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad your home problems are all solved. Happy New Year! Make it a good one. Live and love more and stop worrying about things that are beyond your control. Every day is a gift and you can choose what you do with it!

Hugs,
Betsy

Busy Bee Suz said...

You really did have a lot of 'drama' and close calls at your home this year...so happy it is almost done and NOT one person was hurt in the process!
Isn't life an adventure? I hope your adventures become less expensive and nerve racking. Wishing you, your hubby and kids all the best! 2012 has to be good, you will be a Grandma!! Thank you for your friendship, you have added many smiles and joy to my life.
Happy new year!
xoxoxo Suz

betty said...

I am sure you are looking forward to the new year with the construction work pretty much behind you and your house back on solid ground! Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

betty

Allen said...

Well I am so glad to hear that your basement is all nice and dry. I remember on many occasions that our basement would flood, and we had to walk through the water to get to the electric box. eeek.

I hope your yard returns to normal and you can plant pretty flowers this year. =o) happy new year miss lynda

Rae said...

So glad to hear things are improved. Sure eases the mind not to have to worry every time it rains. Wishing you the best in 2012. May God bless you abundantly.

Patsy said...

Sorry work calls you back so soon. I am so happy your home is fixed and that the yard will be soon.
Good way to start the new year.

Buttercup said...

Yay, Hooper and Sons and yay for a dry basement. My prayers and wishes for all happiness in 2012, my friend!

Rachel said...

I am so happy to hear your basement is fixed! I thought about you guys during all this rain---it is amazing how God will provide.

grammy said...

So happy for you!
What a scare to go through...and what a joy to see it all being restored (o:
Did I already tell you I love the Hope ornament. One of my granddaughters middle name is Hope (o:

George said...

It's wonderful that you could celebrate the end of the year with the completion of this project and with new friends. I'm guessing that in 2012 you may be putting in as much time in your yard as we do in ours.

Bobbie said...

A lot going on there! So glad it's all coming together for you! Happy New year!

Caribbean Cindy said...

Just caught up on your posts (new computer jumbled all my bookmarks and I am slowly getting them in order). Loved seeing the progress on your house and also your sweet Christmas celebration! May God pour rich blessings on you and your family in 2012, especially with that sweet baby coming.!!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thank God for big burly guys with backhoes who know what they're doin'!

Dry basement...woohoo!!! What a great way to begin a new year!

God bless ya sweetie and have a fantastically 'dry' weekend!