Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baby Brother

I had planned on posting these pictures back in January when my brother, Kevin, came to our house on his way back home to NY - - - but they were on a flashdrive and I had misplaced it.
We went to visit Mayfield Dairy in Athens.
This is Maggie the traveling cow.  You will see her in various places throughout the year when there are festivals or grocery store promotions.
We were in the souvenir store waiting for our tour to begin.  A word of advice to you is check the times of the tours before arriving - - unless you want to wait.  However, while waiting, you can purchase some delicious ice cream in the snack bar.
 Kevin and I both decided to get our photo made with a likeness of Scottie Mayfield.  He is the president of Mayfield Dairy. 
Visiting the dairy was interesting to us because growing up, our grandfather had a dairy farm where we lived for almost two years.  Also,  Kevin has done newspaper/magazine reporting about farming so he is quite knowledgeable about milk production, etc.  Doesn't Kev have a beautiful smile?
We had a good time that day and also the day we visited my daughter's family.  You may recognize this Whitewater from previous posts.  It is the Ocoee area.  In the spring - autumn, rafters can be seen "putting in"  over at the middle right of the photo. 
Everytime we visit Copperhill, if we are near this sign, we take a picture.  Kev and I had a wonderful time talking to various shop owners - - - many who were not from the area.  Some were even from the NY vicinity so it was fun visiting with them.  The reason they moved and settled here was when visiting previously, they fell in love with the hospitality of the locals as well as the climate and scenery.
Afterwards we had a delicious meal with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson.  As you can see we were blessed with a beautiful winter day.

. . . . his teeth whiter than milk.  Genesis 49:12b

8 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I've never toured Mayfield's ---but have toured the Blue Bell Factory in TEXAS when I lived there.

Love that picture of you getting a sloppy kiss from Maggie!!!!! ha ha

Looks like you all had a great time..
Hugs,
Betsy

Terri D said...

Hello, Lynda. I found you on Linda's page today and wanted to 'meet' you! I am new to Blogger, having come here from Multiply, and Yahoo360 before that. Finding my way around and enjoying meeting new people. I invite you to my page, if you are interested in connecting: http://tdorsaneo.blogspot.com/

I enjoyed your photos!! I had cousins who lived on a dairy farm, and have many fond memories of summer visits.

TexWisGirl said...

i spent the first 13 yrs of my life on a dairy farm in wisconsin. wonderful (and hard) life. :)

your brother is sweet!

Judi said...

Hi Lynda
What a great tour! Love the idea of that travelling cow and I KNOW they make you wait so you can enjo the ice cream!

That sounds like a lovely area to live...scenery and hospitality.

Thank you for the nice comment you left me also! I can't imagine how farrrr ahead of us you are with your flowers and blooming trees. If we hang tight I'm sure ours will start ... soon..*s*..

have a great day
Judi

Judi said...

Hi Lynda
What a great tour! Love the idea of that travelling cow and I KNOW they make you wait so you can enjo the ice cream!

That sounds like a lovely area to live...scenery and hospitality.

Thank you for the nice comment you left me also! I can't imagine how farrrr ahead of us you are with your flowers and blooming trees. If we hang tight I'm sure ours will start ... soon..*s*..

have a great day
Judi

Anonymous said...

I love Mayfield products. They have the best choc. milk and I love orange sherbert!

George said...

I've never gone on the Mayfield tour, but I did tour a dairy where I grew up in Indiana. Unfortunately, they didn't offer ice cream, but the wait for the tour was very short.

Linda said...

Hi Lynda, I loved this tour!!!