Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year

Today seemed like a good day to resume blogging.   Life has been VERY busy but lots of fun!  Perhaps I will be able to post some of the end of 2013 in the next few weeks.

Since it is the first day of the new year, I had to cook what is expected of a good Southern woman - - - even if I was raised in upstate NY.  However, my precious mother-in-law would come back from the grave to haunt me if I didn't cook the traditional meal.  Since I don't like greens at all, she conceded that boiled cabbage was an acceptable substitute.  You notice we added carrots.
Here are Bill's black-eyed peas cooked from scratch.
And since I don't appreciate the taste of B-E peas, I make Great Northern Beans for me and my older daughter.  They have ketchup, a bit of brown sugar, some onion, ham and other seasonings.  I found a small package of cubed ham at Publix - - - just the right amount for both beans.
 For additional protein, we made baked Macaroni and Cheese with Barilla Plus Pasta.  Here is the recipe from Taste of Home if you want it.  It's delicious!
Praying and wishing you all HEALTH and prosperity in this New Year!



13 comments:

betty said...

That mac and cheese looks delicious! I'm going to have to look at the recipe! It is interesting to read about traditions of what people eat on New Year's Day. Growing up, we always had pork chops and sauerkraut and my mom would cook lima beans into the sauerkraut so it wouldn't be too tart.

Happy New Year!

betty

Buttercup said...

Everything looks yummy. Just picked up cabbage at the grocery this afternoon. Missed your posts and glad to see you blogging again. Happy and healthy 2014.

Karen said...

Oh Linda! This all looks so good!! Yes, we had to have blackeyed peas and greens, but I do love cabbage! Mother made the best mac and cheese! Glad you are back blogging. Looking forward to catching up!

TexWisGirl said...

i hope it all brings you good luck. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy New Year! I use Great Norther n and Pinto Beans in my Baked Beans, I make a huge batch a bag of each and then freeze them in two serving portions . It really saves me time. I am the only one that likes Mac and Cheese, I think I will start having some for lunch..yours looks yummy! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy New Year! I use Great Norther n and Pinto Beans in my Baked Beans, I make a huge batch a bag of each and then freeze them in two serving portions . It really saves me time. I am the only one that likes Mac and Cheese, I think I will start having some for lunch..yours looks yummy! :)

Linda said...

Lynda, I have missed your presence and am so glad to see a post from you! I absolutely love cabbage and the cabbage and carrots look divine!
Wishing you a wonderful 2014...sending you warm hugs from a very cold Montreal.

In response to your question, I do cover my nose and mouth with a scarf in bitter temperatures. :)

Theresa said...

Oh yes, gotta have some good food on New Year's Day! Yours looks SO yummy! Enjoy your day dear friend, BIG HUGS!

George said...

I think you did a great job with our traditional southern meal. Betsy made Hoppin' John for us using black-eyed peas. It was delicious.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yum--it all looks good. WELL--I'd choose the greens over cooked cabbage… ha

We had our traditional Hoppin' John for good luck… You probably remember --but it's made with black-eyed peas, rice, kielbasa, ham, bacon and seasonings… It's delicious.

Hugs,
Betsy

Terri D said...

Oh my, that mac & cheese looks so good!! One of my favorites, but Joe won't eat it. I made black-eyed peas, with onion and bacon. We had cabbage & potatoes, too. We just have to do it, don't we?!! :)

Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

I am hungry now! Wishing you all many blessings in the new year. Welcome back.

Busy Bee Suz said...

You have been missed my friend! Happy 2014; so glad your MIL won't come back to haunt you!
XOXO