Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Machinery

It has been an absolutely gorgeous weekend.  The evenings are in the thirties and forties with the days just over 70.  So whether you were at home or on the road, you were blessed by the climate.

Thursday was an extra day at home for me.  Our personnel committee gave us some bonus days as appreciation for our hard work and good attitudes during the move to the new church facility.  I used about half my day just to relax and read.  LOVED IT!



Our significant accomplishment this weekend has been to update our technology at home.  Our internet would keep freezing  - - frequently.  Our provider is Charter and they suggested trading in our modem for a newer one.  Did that - - - and I - - - - that would be me who is the least knowledgeable about electronics - - -  got to talk with the tech installer via phone to activate the modem.  That would be the moment my husband’s computer mouse just totally died and could not be revived.  I kept cool but the poor tech person had to wait for me to change out batteries - - to no avail - - - and then get another mouse from another computer.    However, my self-esteem was increased when I completed the activation and it worked!    . . . . but we still had the same problem.  Bill talked to the IT department at his job and they said we should update the router, too - - - - so we did.   Again, I am proud of us because our family got this wireless router installed and all computers responding with no phone calls to anyone!  That is major for us.  LinkSys is to be commended because their installation disk covered every problem we encountered with simple explanations for correction.  The end result is the internet is flying again with no freezing.



Today was a birthday luncheon at my son-in-law’s maternal grandmother’s home.  The party was for his mother and sister.  Here is that sweet young man finishing the job of pressure washing her home.  He did the siding and decks. 

  I was concerned about him getting chilled but as you can see, he is wearing waterproof clothing.  Our lunch feast was wonderful - - - T-bone Steaks, grilled, chicken, baked potatoes, salad, baked beans . . . . .delicious!!!!!  



Hope you, too, have had a very nice weekend.

. . . then the priest shall pronounce the house clean. . . Lev 14:48b

11 comments:

betty said...

I remember our last Internet provider had the Linksys routers and one of the routers had problems and the company replaced it free of charge quickly and promptly, I was impressed. Since I work at home I need to make sure I have reliable Internet; it freezing up would cause me major stress! glad you got it worked out and were able to accomplish it yourself too!

the birthday luncheon sounded delicious!

enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

bbetty

Jane said...

So glad that you are flying with the Internet again!

Jane

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting the computers up and running well again! That birthday meal sounds wonderful. It surely was a beautiful day.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lynda, "Ain't" modern technology just amazing --when it works????? ha ha ... We have been using Lynksys routers for years --and like them... Glad you could get it all installed. We are also 'gradually' going wireless --although you'd never know it by looking at all of the cords under our computers... ha ha ... Glad you got it all fixed and working correctly.

Sounds like a wonderful birthday luncheon..... YUM...

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Busy Bee Suz said...

I feel the same bit of joy when I can tackle a technology issue. Good for you both. Glad you are up, running and not freezing up.
so nice that you were given a half day off for all your hard work.
The birthday luncheon sounds lovely....did you save a plate for me???

George said...

Congratulations on conquering the technology to get your internet connection functioning properly. As Betsy says, we're slowly going wireless. Our computers are networked wirelessly, but we still need wireless printers and external drives.

Laura said...

Oh glad you have had some time off, and with beautiful weather! The new modem that's great, now your faster at your finger tips;) We too installed a new modem last month, and it's been so nice since.

As always I enjoy seeing what is happening in your family/life. I love your cherry attitude and your post always make me smile. I need to come see you and the new library when we are well!

Allen said...

I am glad to see you got every thing to work correctly. I have hear horror stories from others that wasnt so lucky as you.

Hope you have a great day!

grammy said...

It always helps to have computer savvy people around !
I wish someone would do my deck for me (o:

Toyin O. said...

Glad you got your router; that is always needed this days.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

Pat said...

I would be up that proverbial creek without a paddle IF I had computer problems and wasn't married to the GEEK SQUAD, a.k.a. JIM! heh, heh!

Good for you for working through the problem, even with a tech on the phone!