Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Saturday

Ducktown is very close to my daughter and son-in-law's home.  I got  to visit with them a few hours yesterday.   According to Wikipedia, this next-door town was named after a Cherokee leader, Chief Duck.  The Cherokee name was Kawana which means "duck town" in English.

Traveling to and from Cleveland to Copperhill,  you will pass this 'store' in the Ocoee area.
This is on the deck to the left of the entrance door.
Much of the merchandise is retro-hippie.  You can find some pretty trinkets and accessories if this is your style. 
And while the majority of us are going about business-as-usual, there are many, many, many who are still dealing with the aftermath of the tornado.  Blue tarps on roofs are a common sight in some areas.
 
Not all fallen trees have been cut up yet.
The yards that have been cleaned up are ready for pick-up by the county.  Their trucks have been working diligently on curbside debris removal.
Our business-as-usual had us beginning the summer reading program this morning with over fifty already signed up.  You can see our display board with prizes now at www.libraryfbc.blogspot.com


Be not conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Romans 12:2a







13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathy to those who lives were affected by the tornadoes.

That's a cool, purple bus!

Have a great week Lynda.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lynda, We've been through Ducktown a few times... Interesting 'store'.... ha

My son brought a video he had made of what the tornado did near him in Chattanooga.. Unbelievable.. It's really just so sad.

Hugs,
Betsy

Bobbie said...

I am so loving those purple pillows!!

George said...

I hope the blue tarps soon are gone, but I have a feeling that it is going to take a long time before the cleanup is finished.
We missed the Purple Bus at Ducktown. We'll have to look for it the next time we are in the area.

Mary Helen said...

You certainly were able to capture some of the color and history along the way to Copperhill.

betty said...

looks like a fun place to visit; I think visiting that store would be fun to have a "blast from the past". It is good to see work is being done with the clean up from the tornados, but I am sure it will be a "work in progress" for many months ahead!

enjoy the week ahead!

betty

Busy Bee Suz said...

What is up with that bus??? Funny.
I loathe seeing the blue tarps because I know those families are uneasy right now. I have seen this many times with the hurricanes in FL.
Did you know we have an Ocoee in Florida too??? Those Indians really got around for a while there.
Glad you got to visit with family this weekend!!!

Rachel said...

I have often wondered what Ducktown stands for, that set in into place. Helpful tool, that wikipedia is.

Caribbean Cindy said...

My grandparents lived in Ducktown and I had never looked up how it got its name. Happy to learn that from you! I've been in the purple bus with Callie when she was doing her jewelry making - very interesting place!

Laura said...

The purple bus, very different! The girls and I ventured in there a year or so ago, interesting little place. Blue tarps, yes they seem to be a common place in our town now...I pray for each one I see! We look out our front door and our neighbors roof has a blue tarp awaiting a new roof.

The Ducktown love that little place.
Hope your having a wonderful start to a new week.
Laura

Toyin O. said...

Praying for thsoe impacted by the tornadoes; it is a very pretty town though, it has a unique ambience to it. Thanks for sharing with us Lynda. Hope you are doing well, have a great memorial day weekend:)

Allen said...

I had wondered if you was effected by the Tornadoes or not.
My computer crashed 3 weeks ago, and now have a nice new one.

I am glad to see you are still blogging!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are amazing! :-)