Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Comments Question

I need some advice from you all.  I have been blogging a few years and have not had problems with comments because I have used Comment Moderation which meant that comments were emailed to me and then I decided if they were to be published.

Today I received three consecutive Anonymous Spam emails for comments - - so I went to my settings.  I had it on Everyone including Anonymous.  The other options were "Registered User includes Open ID"  or  'User with Google Accounts'  or 'Only Members of this Blog."

I am still using Comment Moderation (email to me first) and picked the last option (Only Members of this Blog).  Is that what I want or not?

I don't want to deal with a lot of Spammers - - - they should be thrashed but don't want to exclude friends.  However they could follow if they want to comment - - - right?

THANK YOU for your help.

15 comments:

Lynda said...

Theresa told me to go with Registered User - - - includes Open ID because that has worked for her and she has had no problems - - so I switched to it.

White Lace and Promises said...

I don't allow anonymous to post. I'm so green at this. Listen to the experts. I've had to get advice from my friends:)

Terri D said...

I am happy to hear your friend's answer, Lynda, because I have always been a little concerned about privacy here on Blogger. Multiply was easy to keep private, Blogger not so much. I'm going to check my settings. I don't use moderation or the security numbers/letters and haven't had a problem, but I'm still going to check. Thanks!

Patsy said...

That is the way to go.

Buttercup said...

I've noticed slightly more spam than in the past, but not enough (thankfully) to have to make any changes. I'll keep this in mind if things change. Take good care and keep cozy!

Linda said...

I allow anonymous users to comment because MY anonymous users come to me from other blog sites, not only blogger. But my anonymous users always identify themselves with their name and link. I just moderate the comments and if I see any spam I don't allow it to show, I delete it.

Joyful said...

I agree with Theresa as that gives the widest possible option to your readers.

Theresa said...

I use "registered users includes open ID" There is a spam detection which should snag some of the spam and put them in a spam folder. I tried the comment moderation but didn't like having to approve each message:) I don't allow anonymous comments and I don't do the word verification. Makes it too difficult for people to comment:) To each his own! Enjoy your evening. HUGS!

betty said...

Yes, I do agree with Registered User, that's the setting I have for comments. I used to allow anonymous comments until I got too much spam too.

betty

George said...

I use the same settings Theresa told you about and have had no problems.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

NO---use Registered User includes Open ID... IF you choose the one you originally chose, then you won't get any new comments from new people. I wouldn't use that one.

Hope this helps.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

I too have registered user and no problems so far. It is nice to have friends here that know answers....I have had to ask many times.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I allow the anonymous because some of my family won't 'register'….and they ON occasion will leave a comment. It seems to work for me, but I hope you've found a good solution for you.
I hardly get spam. *knock on wood*
XO

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i wish more folks would pass this note along to others - thanks for sharing. it was simply said & i totally understood it. thanks!! ( :

Far Side of Fifty said...

I don't approve comments it is a pain. I don't allow anonymous comments and get very little spam. Whatever works for you:)