Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wonderful Weekend!

It is my birthday today - - - not something a person usually advertises --- especially when they have just turned one year less than 60 . . . . !!! How did it happen so fast? I read on an email forward or a blog that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes. I will confirm that feeling.

So here's what we've done the last two days. Yesterday I needed to be in Chattanooga for an appointment so afterward, I went to Hamilton Place Mall and visited a few retail businesses. Then I headed over to Lifeway Bookstore to buy some more titles for our FBC Library. Lunch was soup and salad at Jason's Deli. Going home the "back" way (rather than I-75) took me by Couch's BBQ . Take-out from there gave us great sandwiches last night.

Then I started some research that my husband completed today. Our younger daughter and her husband are still having to stay in town during the week due to the long commute around the Ocoee rockslide. They have been at his parents and enjoying it - - - - but to give them some variety and also to give his parents a bit of a break, we went out and bought a bed to go in our spare room. That room was going to be a guest room eventually and now it will be by next weekend. The walls still need painting but it has heat and a good roof and that is more important than paint.

Not everyone in the world can claim that right now. The situation in Haiti is heartbreaking and almost incomprehensible. I don't know why some of us have an easier life than others but I praise God HE is with us in any and all situations. Can I go there and help? Probably I would be more of a liability than an asset if I were onsite and people depended on me for tasks requiring stamina and strength. I tire easier and quicker than I used to. That is not an excuse I am looking for but it is the truth. It is good to know our limitations. However, I can support mission groups who are there year-round and especially an agency like Samaritan's Purse who is a GREAT first responder.

And jumping back to my personal world of celebration - - - my husband took me out for a delicious mid-afternoon meal at Heartland Grill in Dayton. We are stuffed - - - - and did not adhere to any diet today! Speaking of eating out with my husband, I caught my reflection in a mirror this week at Gardner's Market near my work and said to him, "I certainly look my age today!" Do you ever do that? You think you look like what you want to look like - - - and then catch your image unexpectedly and reality almost knocks you down?!!!!

Gray hair is a crown of splendor, it is attained by a righteous life. Proverbs 16:31

7 comments:

Rae said...

Happy Birthday Lynda. You are a lovely person and I am so pleased to have met you. I hope this is a wonderful day for you.
I agree with your comments on the situation in Haiti. I do not understand, but God does. He also knows their needs. I will do what I can by offering my prayers. I was touched seeing the people there in the middle of the rubble lifting their arms in praise and worship. The missionaries have done a tremendous job spreading His word. Even though this is a terrible tragedy, I hope it works to open doors and hearts even more and many more people are reached.

Amy DeTrempe said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!
Haiti is heartbreaking but in the middle of all this you hear so much about faith in God and prayer when interviewed. That really is all we can rely on.
Now I have to go get a snack. Your post made me hungry. Bar-b-cue sounds really good.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! We miss you bunches!

Kelly and Kenli

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday! This looks like it will be an interesting blog to follow! Thank you.

Missy said...

Hope you have had a wonderful birthday. You deserve the best. Missy and family!!!

Caribbean Cindy said...

Glad you had a really good birthday celebration because you really deserve to be celebrated!! I am sure Josh and Amanda will love staying some with you. I continue to check the progress on "our" road. Thanks for giving the information on how to do that! YES I definitely have to shutter sometimes when I see my reflection or see a photo! I just try not to think about it very much and, like you, just give God praise for all the years He has blessed me to live on this earth. You are certainly high on my blessing list!

Mary Helen said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday celebration. The various eating opportunities are always the best!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY,a little late.